Thread: Raccoon

Real Name
    Catherine

Raccoon

I know it's a simple photo with simple edits but I wondered if there were any suggestions on how to improve the edits. (The photo is sharper on my screen and I did extra sharpen when posting but it has still gone a bit soft.) Thank you.

Raccoon
    Last edited by CatherineA; 6th February 2021 at 09:58 PM.

Real Name
    James

Re: Raccoon

Actually Catherine, about the only thing I would do if this were my capture is crop a little more closely to minimise the out of focus areas at the bottom and top of the image making it more of a 'letterbox ' format.

I love both the lighting and the way have capture the curiosity of the racoon.

Real Name
    Catherine

Thank you James, that would make it better!

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

+1 to James' comment. The bottom area is out of focus and distracting. I would also suggest you could crop a bit off the left, that box-like thing is not the main subject and reducing the amount would focus more attention. That bright area behind the raccoon could be toned down a bit as it detracts from your subject.

Raccoon

Real Name
    Catherine

Thank you for the suggestions Manfred. It is true that the raccoon is the subject but I do like the green of the background and the texture of the old and presence of the old box. I had hoped that they could work together but perhaps not.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by CatherineA View Post
    Thank you for the suggestions Manfred. It is true that the raccoon is the subject but I do like the green of the background and the texture of the old and presence of the old box. I had hoped that they could work together but perhaps not.
    Catherine - it is your image, so you need to decide what does and does not work for you. Is the green interesting, yes. Does it detract from the raccoon, yes?

Is the box a feature that is an important part of the composition? Yes. Is less box better than more box? Your call. Looking again, more box probably gives better balance to the image.

Real Name
    Martin

Raccoon

Catherine, I love the the image and the colours. But I agree with both James and Manfred about cropping the image. I would crop out all the distractions.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

A wonderful raccoon image; i too feel the dark strip on top and the blurred strip on the bottom are bit distracting; the the bright hunchback like bright part will be also removed when the top dark portion is stripped out. I also liked Martin's close cropping; then why not a cropped close up of face too?

Real Name
    Sharon

Very Cute! Too bad they can be really nasty creatures!
    The photograph is wonderful. I think in terms of the box, it does need to remain although as Manfred suggests maybe a tad less of it... it does give a bit of context to the scene. I don't think a huge crop of just the raccoon is needed.

Real Name
    Catherine

Thank you all for your comments - they are really helpful to me. And Sharon, yes I think they are really cute too but then I have a soft spot for all animals. I walk with the umbrella over my dog and not myself in the rain and I will cross roads in order not to disturb a squirrel. )