Thread: Gallery of illusions

Real Name
    Ole

Gallery of illusions

This image was taken of a small exhibit by the artist Alicja Kwade. I had a lot of problems getting good shots as there were people continually moving about. When you think you are in a good position, someone would invariably move in front of you. Yes it is me in the background doing some belly shots. C&C welcome.

Gallery of illusionsGallery of illusions by Ole Hansen, on Flickr

Real Name
    Judith

Re: Gallery of illusions

must have been an interesting exhibit! I am not sure it is possible to convey the atmosphere in this photo.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Definitely one on of your strongest images to date.

I'm not sure it the cut-off person on the camera right side is not more of a distraction and cropping him out would result in a stronger image. The crop on the camera left side is quite tight, so adding a bit more space there would be worth considering as well.

Gallery of illusions

Real Name
    Ole

I did consider removing the person on the right. I am kicking myself that I could not get him in properly. That person is actually also the other two persons, therefore my attempt to retain him. This image is all about mirrors. In retrospect I should have knelt down and taken the image eye level I would have got it I think.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by mugge View Post
    I did consider removing the person on the right. I am kicking myself that I could not get him in properly. That person is actually also the other two persons, therefore my attempt to retain him. This image is all about mirrors. In retrospect I should have knelt down and taken the image eye level I would have got it I think.
    Looking at how you ended up having to crop him, I suspect that you would have had to either step back or shoot at a wider aperture. Unfortunately, I don't know the physical limitations you were working under (i.e. was it even possible to step further back?) or the focal length your lens covered.

Hindsight is always great....

Real Name
    Daniel

Ole: You were fortunate to have a subject dressed in black and white even down to his shirt buttons. Liked this one a lot.

I like Manfred's clean and well-balanced version. But I also like the emphasis on size, from big to small in the original. It makes your eyes shift three times. Don't know if that is relevant or not or what part that plays in viewing pictures in general. The good news is if they're shifting their eyes they're still looking.

I really like the uniqueness of this image, Ole. Whilst I very much like Manfred's crop, I am somewhat perplexed by his comment "The crop on the camera left side is quite tight'. Does this mean adding to the far left? -- in which case, it would be very easy, but not in my humble opinion, not worthwhile. Alternatively, does it mean showing more of the chap's left arm, which I would think not possible, because the data is not there. Maybe it means something else altogether?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
    I really like the uniqueness of this image, Ole. Whilst I very much like Manfred's crop, I am somewhat perplexed by his comment "The crop on the camera left side is quite tight'. Does this mean adding to the far left? -- in which case, it would be very easy, but not in my humble opinion, not worthwhile. Alternatively, does it mean showing more of the chap's left arm, which I would think not possible, because the data is not there. Maybe it means something else altogether?
    The reason I suggested that the crop was too tight on the left is that it is adding an unnecessary distraction close to the edge of the image. That pulls the viewer away from the core of the image.

Frankly, that is the problem with the figure on the right. I suspect that Ole did not have a wide enough focal length lens to capture this shot well, given the problem on both edges of the image.