Thread: Two Reworked Portraits

Real Name
    Martin

Two Reworked Portraits

I have put these two images up before on this forum for comment. I have reworked them and I am hoping for fresh eyes on each image, so with that in mind, I have not resubmitted the old critiqued images for comparison.
    Ultimately I am hoping use them as competition portrait images.

The first one is Alan, the ninety three year old fellow I photographed under the fluoro lights in the local community hall.

Two Reworked Portraits

The second image is Tony, the construction worker, cutting a piece of steel with a friction saw. This has become a mono image. I have cropped it quite severely and overdone the sharpening to enhance his harsh working environment.

Two Reworked Portraits

Real Name
    Daniel

Re: Two Reworked Portraits

hi Martin; I like this version of Alen better than the one previously posted. I thought the hand and face of the other one looked over-processed to the point that it separated the hand and face from the image. I don't see that happening with this version.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

The first one is definitely an improvement versus your original posting. The second one is a bit over the top for my taste.

Real Name
    Martin

Thank you both, Daniel and Manfred, for your comments.

Real Name
    Sharon

I like the first one a lot. His expression and overall appearance says to me he has a lot of wonderful stories to tell. Only thing I’d like is more spark/light in the eyes.... that would give me more.
    Agree with others on the second one... his environ,ent doesn’t need over the top sharpening to tell the story.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Martin,

I agree the first one looks good now (not that I'm an expert).

For the second, I'd suggest limiting the sharpening to the subject himself, leaving the background (and perhaps even the saw) at it's 'natural' sharpness.

HTH,
    Dave

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

The PP (over) sharpening on the second image distracts a trained eye and greatly diminishes the impact of the message.

The Subject, the Lighting and the well graduated Black and White are strong enough to stand as depicting "in a harsh working environment".

Apropos entry for competition, I would severely mark down the technical component of the score when judging this image - because of the (over) sharpening, obviously Judge's vary in nuance: but I think most experienced Judges would react similarly: it hits you right between the eyes, first glance.

WW