Thread: The tree and the moon

Real Name
    Sharon

The tree and the moon

Nothing special, but for some reason I like this lonely tree in all its mistletoe glory hanging on the hillside.
    The tree and the moonThe tree and the moon by sharonkay finley, on Flickr

Real Name
    Daniel

Re: The tree and the moon

I like this image, Sharon. I think it would work better without the moon. Just my view. I don't think the tree looks lonely at all. Not with all that sky and earth to keep it company. On the technical side, I see a line on the edge of the tree and field. Not sure what caused that. I think it is worth fixing. Nice shot.

Real Name
    Dan

I like this with the moon. It would have been nicer had the moon been lower, but there isn't anything to do about that. Did you sharpen much? Oversharpening can cause artifacts like the faintly visible line that Daniel pointed out.

Real Name
    Sharon

Thank you both for your feedback, it is appreciated. Yes, I do wish the moon was lower, it's a close by location maybe I can try at a different time of the day.
    No sharpening, that line is actually a fence line that surrounds the property. There is a house and another tree on the photos left side. I could go in an remove it, it's not something i am very skilled at quite yet.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

A very nice image; I attempted an edit by removing almost all right hand portion, beyond the tree and some foreground; then converted to B &W and then darkened non-selectively; i really liked the effect; it became a night moonscape, with a sharp rabbit mark in the moon and almost a silhouetted tree....Please try it that way, if you like the idea... but that is not an attempt of improvement of this nice image, but just a variation

Real Name
    James

Sharon, I think this is a lovely image. I quite like the asymetry generated by the format you have chosen.
    I suspect I might have gone for a rectangular portrait crop, focussing on the diagonal created by the moon and the tree, retaining a relatively small area of grass, something equivalent to about 1/3 of the height of the tree. (As Nandakumar indicated .... another variation )

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Please take it as a friendly gesture; It still remains 100% your image; what edition i have done is some basic things anyone can perform

The tree and the moon

Regards

Real Name
    Daniel

Just the crop alone brought it into a nice balance that was missing for me.

Real Name
    Ole

I do like this image, Sharon. How about cropping 20mm of the bottom and again crop as per Nandakumar's example, but keep it in colour. Just a thought.
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    Martin

I like Nandakumar's treatment, but it does emphasize the "dust bunny" half way up on the right hand side.

Real Name
    Sharon

First Nanda, relax I am not offended nor insulted nor anything about your suggestions and appreciate you taking the time to comment and give a different perspective. The moon looks much nicer in your edit. Very nice. I wonder what an IR processing would do?
    James thank you very much for your kind comments, and yes the suggestions of the crop are very valid so thanks.
    Daniel, I must get over my fear of cropping too much. I could have zoomed a bit and even eliminated much of that need. The new image works much better. In some ways, I was attempting to go for a more minamalist photo, thus my decision to not crop so much.
    Martin, thanks for your comments. Dang dust bunnies.. must clean lens! Been having some struggles with my camera and the memory card slots.
    Ole, always appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. Very appreciated. I have so much to learn

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Thank you, Sharon,
    I cropped the image and converted B&W in Picasa; then made some adjustments like brightness, curve etc. in photoshop; did not attempt IR
    Regards

Real Name
    Kay

I like the original post and edit very much, well done

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

I really like this image Sharon. The light is great and the simplicity of the scene is what makes it.

There is a noticeable halo at the junction of land/sky, and tree trunk when viewed larger. I had a go at removing it and got rid of the fence on the left and a couple of dust bunnies. I link to it here. It is marked as private on my Flickr page so no one can view it from there directly, and I will delete it in a few days.

The tree and the moon50980184947_d200dcb5ac_o_edit by Peter Schluter, on Flickr

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by pschlute View Post
    I really like this image Sharon. The light is great and the simplicity of the scene is what makes it.

There is a noticeable halo at the junction of land/sky, and tree trunk when viewed larger. I had a go at removing it and got rid of the fence on the left and a couple of dust bunnies. I link to it here. It is marked as private on my Flickr page so no one can view it from there directly, and I will delete it in a few days.

The tree and the moon50980184947_d200dcb5ac_o_edit by Peter Schluter, on Flickr
    Very nice edit Peter, thank you very much. Always learning on this site.

Real Name
    Dan

How did you remove the halo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    How did you remove the halo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hi Dan

In Photoshop I used the clone stamp tool (or healing brush). I sampled the sky just above the horizon. Then changed the mode to "darken". Simply run the brush over the halo strip and it replaces it with blue sky. Because I have chosen "darken" mode it does not over-write blue sky onto the green land, it only affects the lighter halo.

Real Name
    raymond

Lovely concept ,simply too much space between the tree and the moon.

Real Name
    Joe

Nice shot Sharon. I think it would be worth the effort to return and try to get a shot with the moon closer to the tree. The tree by itself as Daniel suggests would be a nice shot also.