Thread: Dee and house

Dee and house

Little house on the Dee.
    Last edited by nokinnikon; 26th February 2021 at 01:03 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Dee and house

Looks like a very beautiful place; nice scenery and nice lighting.

In my view there are a couple of issues here; your camera was pointed up and the building and wall have perspective distortion which gives the appearance of both collapsing inwards. There are some very deep shadows that could use to be opened up to better show the lovely textures that are found there.

Dee and house

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Beautiful place and nice perspective, but as Manfred has said, a bit distorted; but in such wider scapes, that is acceptable? that i am not sure....

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Looks like a very beautiful place; nice scenery and nice lighting.

In my view there are a couple of issues here; your camera was pointed up and the building and wall have perspective distortion which gives the appearance of both collapsing inwards. There are some very deep shadows that could use to be opened up to better show the lovely textures that are found there.

Dee and house
    Tilting up- it's what's known as 'cropping with the camera'

Distortion- used intentionally to add to further emphasize 'the sweep' The ebb and flow.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by nokinnikon View Post
    Have never seen that phrase used to refer to 'Camera Tilt': do you have a reference?

WW

Hello Bill, yes not sure what your are trying to say, but tilting the camera up to exclude foreground intrusions hence cropping with camera as you would move in closer to "Omit the redundant" this help? As you should know that dividing the frame up into unequal parts to weight the image or in this case to exclude. Or are you actually being obtuse with me? But for you and others here it is:

"Tilting is a cinematographic technique in which the camera stays in a fixed position but rotates up/down in a vertical plane. Tilting the camera results in a motion similar to someone raising or lowering their head to look up or down."
    and however it is used is down to individual tastes.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

I wasn't trying to say anything other than the question asked.

Reiterating - I have never heard nor read the phrase 'cropping with the camera', and I was simply asking for a reference because you wrote "it is what is known as".

I am absolutely familiar with Camera Tilt and its employment in Cinematography, and noted that, in Cinematography, such is movement function which mimics the Viewer's eye or head movement: however I have never seen nor heard 'cropping with the camera' used in Cinematography, either.

It matters little - I was simply asking for a reference to that phrase 'cropping with the camera', which I understood you to mean was a phrase in common use.

WW

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

...Or are you actually being obtuse with me?
    No. I consider myself articulate, informed and well educated in the matters we discuss here.

WW

I see, okay, well it was Henri Cartier Bresson, Ansel Adams and a host of my past pic editors and mentors who used to champion "Crop with the camera" technique.

Really? Funny that. Im not anal about the rigidity of technique . Having to explain what cropping with the camera' means. It's pretty self explanatory. Been in the game for too long to deal with the ignorant. Do me a favour and don't reply or ask rhetorical questions.

Real Name
    Philip

Getting back to the image, Manfred's two principal changes - to distortion and lighting - make a more pleasing image in my view.

Philip

Thank you, I see you are from Hertfordshire, I was chief photographer for the Welwyn and Hatfield times many years ago, its a great news patch, Potters bar, St Albans, Hertford, Ware, Hatfield, loved it, every minute of it! Great area, great people!

Real Name
    Dan

Really? Funny that. Im not anal about the rigidity of technique . Having to explain what cropping with the camera' means. It's pretty self explanatory. Been in the game for too long to deal with the ignorant. Do me a favour and don't reply or ask rhetorical questions.
    Perhaps you haven't noticed that people on this forum are usually civil and avoid ad hominem insults. Calling Bill "ignorant" would be laughable if it weren't offensive. I've learned a great deal from Bill's posts, even though I've been doing photography for more than half a century.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Distortion- used intentionally to add to further emphasize 'the sweep' The ebb and flow.
    Cropping with the camera is something I refer to as framing the image; that is something every experienced photographer does. I do a lot of prints of my images, so often I tend to crop to be close to standard paper sizes. Perspective distortion is something that happens whenever the camera is not held level; sometimes I will purposefully incorporate perspective distortion into my shots in order to emphasize something about the scene. At other times I will either shoot with a shift-tilt lens to either minimize or eliminate the distortion.

When I look at an image that I am analyzing, I tend to pay attention to what I notice first. If it adds to the shot, then it is s strength of the image that I will point out, if it draws my attention away from the image, i.e. it is a distracting element, I will point that out. In this image, the perspective distortion pulls my attention away, so I mentioned it. That light standard on the very left, which got cropped out of the image in my version was another element that pulled in more of my attention than it should. These are my observations and you are certainly free to disagree with me (I'm used to it)...

Real Name
    Dan

Whoopee do. Well done you . He shouldn't ask such stupid questions then. Mind your own business your as ignorant as him, read what I wrote. I am all to familier with the 'Ad Hominem' thank you very much. Danke!
    If you want private conversations, stop posting here. This is a public forum, and members comment freely. What you post here is the "business" of all of the community members.

Many years ago, my mother gave me very useful advice. She said that I should never get angry when someone resorts to ad hominem arguments and that I should just listen more carefully because it often means that their substantive arguments don't hold up.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Jason,

Sometimes, 'cropping with the camera' is unwise - e.g. when to do so requires the photographer tilt the camera up or down and that results in distortion caused by the lens and/or perspective effects resulting from shooting position.

It is many viewers' opinion that this is one of those cases.

Sometimes, and I'd say particularly if shooting film* and post processing 'the old way', it makes more sense to keep the camera level and crop when enlarging/printing/scanning.
    * this may not be, but I noted several of yours are.

That you cannot accept that your art** is not always going to be interpreted the way you intended, is sad - and your loss, though you may not appreciate that.
    ** embracing the curvature and minimal other processing

However, such 'attitude' is not the norm here and will not be well received, as you have seen across several threads today.

Regards,
    Dave

Real Name
    Ted

are you actually being obtuse with me?
    To be really rude, you should say "deliberately obtuse" ... come on- you can do it.