Thread: Film infrared

Real Name
    Mark

Film infrared

I loved the film days and one of the things I enjoyed most was shooting infrared. I think I enjoyed the process of shooting infrared more than the images themselves. This is the only scanned image I have of infrared. I wanted to post it as my first image here. The little boy at the base appeared just as I was ready to shoot and I felt he completed the shot. Camera was a Nikon F90x on Kodak Infrared.

Film infrared
    Last edited by wide2tele; 6th March 2021 at 10:28 PM.

Real Name
    Ted

Re: Film infrared

Good one, Mark, with classic white foliage. Do you now shoot digital IR with a modified camera?

Here's a full-spectrum shot from a week or so ago:

Film infrared

Sigma SD15 with UV/IR blocking filter removed and Custom WB. No filter on the lens.

Not attempting the Kodak EIR look but I think the red ever-green foliage is rather pleasant ...

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Wonderful first post; really liked it. If you had vocal access to him could have asked him to walk away on that road....

Real Name
    Mark

Thanks for the replies gents.

Ted,
    No, I have no camera I'm willing to modify. I'm hoping to shoot some film infrared again someday if it will still be possible by then. I do like your colour infrared.

Nandakumar,
    It wasn't an option to have the boy move. I was lucky he stopped at the front of the building and looked up at the camera. The road and the location is not as quiet as it appears.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Nice first post Mark. I have never done IR at all myself.

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by pschlute View Post
    Nice first post Mark. I have never done IR at all myself.
    Thanks Peter, it's a fun process. With film you loaded the camera in darkness as the felt used to stop light getting through on the film canister would let through infrared so you couldn't load it as a normal film. Then the shooting is a process. First time you actually get to see any part of the film or canister is after you have processed the negs or at least put the film in a C41 tank ready to be processed. Then you can at least see your broken film canister.

The location I'm at in the shot above, I am standing on the actual tourist attraction everyone photographs. (A bridge)
    No one points a camera in the direction I'm pointing mine because there is nothing worth taking in either colour or b&w. Using infrared however, there is a shot to be had.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by wide2tele View Post
    Ted,
    No, I have no camera I'm willing to modify. I'm hoping to shoot some film infrared again someday if it will still be possible by then. I do like your colour infrared.
    Ta. The thing with most Sigma DSLRs is that the UV/IR blocking filter is mounted just inside the lens mount and can be popped out with a thumbnail for IR work and easily refitted for normal photography.

Not pushing it but there's one in Oz going quite cheap.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sigma-SD...N/265054801489

No lens but I could send you a spare 24-70mm HF - just for US-to-OZ postage ...
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 7th March 2021 at 02:01 AM.

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    Ta. The thing with most Sigma DSLRs is that the UV/IR blocking filter is mounted just inside the lens mount and can be popped out with a thumbnail for IR work and easily refitted for normal photography.

Not pushing it but there's one in Oz going quite cheap.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sigma-SD...N/265054801489

No lens but I could send you a spare 24-70mm HF - just for US-to-OZ postage ...
    Thanks Ted, that's a ridiculously kind offer. My issue right now is I work, I work long hours and I work nights. In a couple of years this will all change. It's a silly time for me to return to photography to be honest as it will be so hard to find time to shoot anything. I simply can't wait though, bug is back, and will find a way to take some pics somehow. Shooting a few scenics or anything will be tough enough with available time. Photography like infrared will have to wait another couple of years. Then everything changes. Thanks again, it would be a blast to do what you suggested! I totally miss infrared and the different mindset you go out with when this is the type of photography you intend to do.

Good thing is my work will allow me time to surf the net while I'm at work so this is why a forum works well for me.

Btw, I am going to hit the helpful posts thingy for people when I work out how to actually do it! haha

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by wide2tele View Post
    Btw, I am going to hit the helpful posts thingy for people when I work out how to actually do it! haha
    Just click once on the thumbs-up icon at bottom left and wait for few seconds. The number on it's right should increment.

Just did it for you ....

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    Just click once on the thumbs-up icon at bottom left and wait for few seconds. The number on it's right should increment.

Just did it for you ....
    Crikey! That was easy! I must've just clicked it and left too fast cause nothing seemed to be happening. Got it! Thanks again!

Real Name
    Sharon

Very nice work Mark. I love IR. Previous film camera i had a filter and appropriate film, before i ditched it and got the Nikon F4.

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by lovelife65 View Post
    Very nice work Mark. I love IR. Previous film camera i had a filter and appropriate film, before i ditched it and got the Nikon F4.
    Ohhhh...there you go again...you mentioned it...I love it...hope you checked your PM's...

Thank you for the kind comments Sharon. Yes, infrared was loads of fun!

Real Name
    Richard

Mirrorless Infrared is quite easy since with this type of camera, IR focus is not a problem.

I modified a Sony NEX-7 camera which I purchased relatively inexpensively and had it modified for full time Infrared.

I made the decision to have high contrast B&W IR imagery as my final product...

Film infrared

Film infrared

The NEX-7 body is light weight and small; plus it can share any of my lenses for my other Sony mirrorless cameras. These attributes make it a nice addition to my kit when traveling...