Thread: Fly close up picture

Real Name
    David Mareček

Fly close up picture

Last year i made this shot of fly, its handheld close up picture with EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II lens at its maximum 55mm, this is lens i get to camera(EOS1300D) which i still use. I was very lucky with this fly, because it pose for me for quite a few seconds sitting on leaf of Greek nut tree.

Edit: i forgot to mention important detail - i used cheapest extension tubes i found(but ones which transfer aperture etc.)

Fly close up pictureIMG_6598 by David Mareček, on Flickr
    Last edited by Marwus; 22nd March 2021 at 05:48 AM.

Real Name
    les norman

Re: Fly close up picture

Nice image David well done

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Nice image; i feel the image has an over dominance of yellow-green; i attempted a fine tune by adjusting blue and found a better result

Real Name
    David Mareček

Thank you for comments. I have also another picture from that moment which is slightly different so i will try to remember it when i get to it.

Real Name
    Dan

I agree with Nandakumar: a good capture, but it has a distinct color cast. I tried setting white balance using the more or less neutral gray and white band on the inside of the eyes. The whitest part is blown out, but a slightly darker part resulted in Photoshop moving 15 toward blue and 24 toward magenta. That yielded this, which probably isn't quite right either but I suspect is closer:

Fly close up picture

You did a great job capturing the detail in the eyes.

Real Name
    David Mareček

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    I agree with Nandakumar: a good capture, but it has a distinct color cast. I tried setting white balance using the more or less neutral gray and white band on the inside of the eyes. The whitest part is blown out, but a slightly darker part resulted in Photoshop moving 15 toward blue and 24 toward magenta. That yielded this, which probably isn't quite right either but I suspect is closer:

Fly close up picture

You did a great job capturing the detail in the eyes.
    Thank you Dan and also thank you for show me actually what you had in mind, i am not Lightroom and Photoshop user. I stick with RawTherapee and Gimp since i started to focus on photography few years ago with my old PC where my original Windows was not supported anymore so i used Linux in those days. And also i because i strongly disagree with subscription method applied in software. It would be hard for me to translate it to another software

Anyway, i tried to not go wild in colors when i process second picture of this gentle fly. Comments are more than welcomed.
    [IMG]Fly close up pictureFly with shadow by David Mareček, on Flickr[/IMG]

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Marwus View Post
    ... i am not a Lightroom or Photoshop user. I stick with RawTherapee and Gimp ...
    You are not alone, David ...

Outstanding detail on the fly!

Real Name
    Nandakumar

This new image is really something special; even though the image hides half part of the fly, with its shadow and all it is a special image for me and i liked it very much; more than any theory, it is the aesthetics that makes an image perfect

Real Name
    David Mareček

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    This new image is really something special; even though the image hides half part of the fly, with its shadow and all it is a special image for me and i liked it very much; more than any theory, it is the aesthetics that makes an image perfect
    Thank you very much.

Real Name
    David Mareček

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    You are not alone, David ...

Outstanding detail on the fly!
    Thank you very much.

I knew that this information about RT and Gimp will catch you :-D and guess what software i use for comparing pictures...Fast Stone Image viewer. I found this combination of free software very powerfull. I just wish i would be able to use it properly. But those days are just yet to come

Real Name
    Dan

i am not Lightroom and Photoshop user. I stick with RawTherapee and Gimp
    You can adjust white balance in most software. I just happened to use Photoshop because that's what I have.

I haven't used Gimp, but I believe it has similar tools. I think the "Pick Gray Point" option is similar to the technique I used. I think Gimp also allows you to manipulate the blue-yellow and magenta-green dimensions directly using the color Balance dialog.

I haven't used Raw Therapee either, but it seems also to offer both approaches: https://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/White_Balance