Thread: Skylight

Real Name
    Daniel

Skylight

Took this shot of the atrium skylight at the covid-19 vaccination site earlier this week. Cropped and straightened a bit. It has that modern art look to it I thought. Comments welcomed.

[IMG]SkylightIMG_0326 by pongo now, on Flickr[/IMG]

Real Name
    raymond

Re: Skylight

Unsure of what you are trying to express

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by selig1656 View Post
    Unsure of what you are trying to express
    It's an image of a skylight that emphasis color, shape, arrangement, pattern, and balance in my view. I think it leans towards modern art or graphic design perhaps. Not to everyone's taste, I'm sure, but it has a strong appeal to me.

Thank you for your question, Raymond. Much appreciated. Daniel
    Last edited by escape; 20th March 2021 at 11:32 AM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I'm with Raymond on this one; the image doesn't say much to me. The glass framed part of the skylight holds some interest, but the black and gray areas on the bottom add nothing to the image, in my view.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

I see some kind of reflected buildings, castles etc. in that blue part...is that real?

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    I see some kind of reflected buildings, castles etc. in that blue part...is that real?

The white section is the top of the adjacent building. It's not a reflection. You can make out the windows on the bottom of it.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 20th March 2021 at 10:36 PM. Reason: fixed quote box

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    I'm with Raymond on this one; the image doesn't say much to me. The glass framed part of the skylight holds some interest, but the black and gray areas on the bottom add nothing to the image, in my view.
    That's fair enough, Manfred.

I like this pictures because it excites my imagination. That might seem strange to you and others, but art is a personal experience. Because I view it as art, it was unnecessary and perhaps unfair to submit it for critique. I'm still learning and exploring boundaries and possibilities. Your comment was much appreciated. Daniel

Real Name
    David Mareček

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    I see it too and it is actually one think i like, i guess it is dirt on glass from rains. Dust etc.

But i also agree with Manfred, if you would crop the part black and grey part from bottom and increase visibility of those "castles" it would maybe make much more interesting image.

As you said Daniel, art is personal experience but Oscar Wilde once said that all art is quite useless ;-) and probably both of you are right. My personal view is that one never find if his work is capable to speak and appeal to others until he show it to others. For that reason i started to showing pictures which i think are worth to see by others and are able to so called speak to them. Critique should be always encouraging, even if it is not as we expected. Different views help us to understand others and more importantly to understand our self.

Real Name
    Greg

I can see why you shot this scene, Daniel, it does have a sense of modernism about it. I think I would have been tempted, too. I like the way the square lights in the lower two sections iterate the shape of the glass panels, and the portions of the windows just visible in the distant building.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Quote Originally Posted by escape View Post
    The white section is the top of the adjacent building. It's not a reflection. You can make out the windows on the bottom of it.
    Daniel, i did not mean the white buildings; look into the blue part; you will see some shade-like buildings and castles in two rows ,above and below; David("Marwus") has probably rightly understood them to be a play of rain water on the adhered dust on the glass

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    I can see why you shot this scene, Daniel, it does have a sense of modernism about it. I think I would have been tempted, too. I like the way the square lights in the lower two sections iterate the shape of the glass panels, and the portions of the windows just visible in the distant building.
    Thank you Greg for your observation, the iteration of the square lights. I missed that one.

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Marwus View Post
    As you said Daniel, art is personal experience but Oscar Wilde once said that all art is quite useless ;-) and probably both of you are right. My personal view is that one never find if his work is capable to speak and appeal to others until he show it to others. For that reason i started to showing pictures which i think are worth to see by others and are able to so called speak to them. Critique should be always encouraging, even if it is not as we expected. Different views help us to understand others and more importantly to understand our self.
    Oscar Wilde's quote must have rocked the art world in his time to his total delight.
    Thank you, Dave, for your comment. It was well-received. Daniel.

Real Name
    Daniel

Thank you all for commenting. This was a difficult one for me to process. As David said, "Different views help us to understand others and more importantly to understand ourselves."