Thread: Another look at old work

Real Name
    Janis

Another look at old work

I finally got all of my Aperture libraries moved over to Capture One and have been reviewing them over the last few days. It is astonishing how much Capture One can recover from underexposed images that Aperture couldn't. I have also rediscovered some abstract images I have never shared in any forum, for lack of courage, no doubt. But I am older now, and have been watching/listening to Brené Brown...

Another look at old work

Another look at old work

Another look at old work

C&C welcome.
    Last edited by purplehaze; 10th April 2021 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Posted wrong picture

Real Name
    Bill

Re: Another look at old work

Quote Originally Posted by purplehaze View Post
    I finally got all of my Aperture libraries moved over to Capture One ... I have also rediscovered some abstract images I have never shared in any forum, for lack of courage, no doubt. But I am older now,
    Migrating Aperture is the main reason I settled on CaptureOne as my library/editing software. This was way back at the time of CaptureOne 7; I tried free trial downloads of everything on the market and it was the hands-down winner for library migration and the one I liked best for processing (the latter being a more subjective decision but one that I've not regretted).

I like your "I am older now" ... I'm not (yet) at "near enough is good enough" but am comfortably at the stage where "works for me" is more important than latest and greatest or following the market leader.

Anyway - well done Janis and hope we see some more rescue shots .

Real Name
    David Mareček

I like all of images above, each of them reminds me something. First one reminds me hairs on bald head for some reason , second one reminds me Dead Kennedys's logo but most wonderful is for me last one. This i like a lot. Shape of branch or tree is simply wonderful and leads my mind away...

Real Name
    Janis

Thanks, Bill and David.

Yes, Bill, I also opted for Capture One for its compatibility with Aperture. I held on to it as long as I could for the BorderFX plugin which I really liked and used to apply text to images like the headshots I do for my dragonboat team.

That's what I like about nature abstracts, David--they make me think of things other than what they are. The tree is my favorite, too. The negative space formed by all the little branches in this image remind me of stained glass and give the image a curious flatness for me, so it is interesting that it carries you away. The limb belongs to the elm outside my bedroom window. It is only one of many images I have made of the elms on my street, which are slowly succumbing to Dutch Elm disease.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

As abstracts go, the first two are quite effect; well seen and taken Janis!

One of my projects for the next few months is going to be working with shadows and your images are giving me a nudge to try some more work (after the current province-wide lockdown ends in another 3 weeks, I hope).

Real Name
    Janis

Thanks, Manfred.

I guess maybe now is not the time to be working with shadows in one's own house, and possibly spooking oneself out.