Thread: Three Glasses - Red & Yellow

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Three Glasses - Red & Yellow

I tried to improve on my image of the two glasses with coloued food colouring dispersing in them; so I added a third glass. The front glass was empty, the middle glass was half full of water and the back glass was quite full.

I added red food colouring to the back glass and yellow food colouring to the middle glass.

This is a blend of two images. One of the images is back lit to show off the glass and food colouring and the second shot (taken independently) lights up the white work surface. The two images were blending in Photoshop.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Three Glasses - Red & Yellow

This is a shot of my setup

The initial shot was done with the flagged softbox lighting the subjects. It was turned off and I took a second shot just to light up the white paper. The camera was mounted on a tripod and I used my geared head to frame the shot. The camera and tripod never moved.

This is a shot with the back lit glasses:

This is a shot of the table top lit up.

Last edited by Manfred M; 11th April 2021 at 09:48 PM.

Real Name
    Dan

Thanks for posting the photo of your setup. For someone like me--inexperienced with studio lighting but thinking of taking the plunge--this is very helpful.

You referenced flagged softboxes. I don't see the flags, unless the black board is in front of the white background.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    I don't see the flags, unless the black board is in front of the white background.
    Yes, the dark pieces of foamcore hanging down are the flags. A flag is anything that completely blocks the light.

In bright frame shooting we flag the light source to constrain it to frame size (basically, when I shoot, I try to shoot right to where the flags can just be seen through the viewfinder. This controls the light spread and reduces flare. In order to accentuate the edges of the glass, one gets the camera as close to the subject as possible. The farther back the camera is, the less distinct the edges of the glass.

Real Name
    Ken

Makes me think, is your glass half full or half empty?

Real Name
    Bill

I like the glasses a lot - reminds me a bit of some of the images Mike Buckley used to post here.

However, for my taste the colour adds nothing and is enough of a distraction to spoil what could have been an intersting and creative mono.

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Thanks for posting the photo of your setup. For someone like me--inexperienced with studio lighting but thinking of taking the plunge--this is very helpful.

You referenced flagged softboxes. I don't see the flags, unless the black board is in front of the white background.
    Dan

If you want to find out more about lighting, "Light, Science & Magic" by Fil Hunter, Steven Biver and Paul Fuqua is a great book to have. It's been around for several years in print and as an e-book - just search the 'Net for current availability and prices.

Bill

Real Name
    Dan

Bill,

thanks

Dan

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

There is a second book that I would also recommend for still life / product shots; "Lighting for Product Photography" by Allison Earnest, published by Amhert Media.

I used the approach in Light, Science & Magic for this shot, but was taught the approach used in Lighting for Product Photography when I took a studio lighting course at the local college about 10 years ago.

I refer to both books when working with tricky lighting situations.

Real Name
    Dan

Thanks. A lot for me to study...

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Very nice image and very helpful illustration....

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by billtils View Post
    I like the glasses a lot - reminds me a bit of some of the images Mike Buckley used to post here.

However, for my taste the colour adds nothing and is enough of a distraction to spoil what could have been an intersting and creative mono.
    I agree, but as I am looking to make images for a competition with the subject "Red & White", I am looking at what colour does and have found that the movement of the food colouring through the water adds an interesting effect. I am planning some more tests today, now that my technique is improving.

I did have some shots with just the glasses, but the stems are not perfectly aligned.

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    I agree, but as I am looking to make images for a competition with the subject "Red & White", I am looking at what colour does and have found that the movement of the food colouring through the water adds an interesting effect. I am planning some more tests today, now that my technique is improving.

I did have some shots with just the glasses, but the stems are not perfectly aligned.
    That makes sense Manfred