Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Amazing Puppy

Real Name
    Richard

Amazing Puppy

Serena sleeps in a crate in the living room (the first night we had the crate in our bedroom but she snores). This five month old puppy really seems to like "her" crate and after I have retrieved the other dogs from their last potty break of the evening, I leave the living room sliding door open and Serena comes in on her own and goes into her crate waiting for her Kong Toy stuffed with nutritious treats -which she only gets when she goes to bed...

Amazing Puppy

Last night, I must have neglected to secure the crate door. When I got up from bed to get a drink of water about 4:00 am, I found the puppy sitting in the middle of the living room - no barking and no puddle accidents. I offered her another piece of home-made chicken jerky and she went right back into her crate and slept until we all woke up at about 6:00 am..

Real Name
    Joe

Re: Amazing Puppy

Its great that she loves her crate. dog is the same, but her crate is still in our bedroom

Real Name
    Richard

The Great Pyrenees is a wonderful combination of gentleness and protective instinct... Even at her young age, this is evident in her behavior...

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    The Great Pyrenees is a wonderful combination of gentleness and protective instinct... Even at her young age, this is evident in her behavior...
    She’s very cute, and will be quite a large girl.
    I’m happy you all are enjoying her!

Real Name
    Richard

I really love this puppy - she is everything that I hoped for when we decided to rescue a Great Pyrenees (BTW: in Great Britain and most of Europe, the breed is known as a Pyrenean Mountain Dog).

Yes, she will grow into a decently large dog... However, as per Great Pyrenees standards, I think she will be rather petite. Her dad was less than a hundred pounds and her mom was less than 90 pounds. I would guess that she will max out between those two sizes.

However, that is still large enough to discourage a Coyote from trying to climb the two fences he would need to climb in order to get at our smaller dogs or chickens. Note, since the area around me has been built up in the past ten years or so, I have never seen a pack of coyotes - just single solitary animals prowling around looking for an easy meal.

I have installed rollers for the outside fence on these brackets: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Barbed wire is illegal in my residential area so, I am stringing stainless steel cable through the lower two slots and cable with PVC rollers in the top slot. The second fence, which is within my property will have a shocker cable across the top. The inside fence serves a dual purpose; it would serve as an additional barrier and keeps my dogs away from the outside perimeter. They tend to bark a lot when someone walks their dog or rides their horse along the road outside my property..

That fencing combined with a fiercely barking (she seems fierce even at 5-months old and is larger than the average coyote) Great Pyrenees guardian dog should convince Mr. Coyote that my property is not suitable for an easy buffet...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 21st April 2021 at 06:01 PM.