Thread: Three Glasses - Red

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Three Glasses - Red

I'm continuing to work and refine my bright field work.

This shot has three glasses lined up in a row, with the middle and back one with water in them. Red food colouring was dropped into the rear glass only, with the red appearing in the middle one as a result of the water refracting what is going on in the glass behind it.

Three Glasses - Red
    Last edited by Manfred M; 17th April 2021 at 06:16 AM.

Real Name
    Ole

Re: Three Glasses - Red

This looks quite challenging to me, Manfred. I am looking at the horizontal line separating the red colouring and it disturbs me for some reason
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by mugge View Post
    it disturbs me for some reason
    Thanks Ole - when I saw this particular image, it very much reminded me of what I imagine a lot of blood dripping into clear water would look like. The processing helped bring out that effect.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Liked it very much; how about a yellow, blue, green combination?

Real Name
    Martin

A lovely simple, well lit, tack sharp image. Well done Manfred.

Real Name
    Bill

I'm emjoying your journey Manfred and can appreciate your efforts, but it still misses the mark for me.

In this latest iteration the outer glass is complete but empty, the middle one has no stem but does have liquid + red dye, and the smallest doesn't sit at all well for me (literally - it is not grounded). Also the muddy red at the bottom doesn't look good.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by billtils View Post
    I'm emjoying your journey Manfred and can appreciate your efforts, but it still misses the mark for me.

In this latest iteration the outer glass is complete but empty, the middle one has no stem but does have liquid + red dye, and the smallest doesn't sit at all well for me (literally - it is not grounded). Also the muddy red at the bottom doesn't look good.
    I had assumed that you would prefer a shot without the lens effects that the water adds to the image. This is one of the setup shots I did to confirm alignment of the glasses, before I added the water.

Three Glasses - Red

One thing to remember about this technique; I am essentially shooting a special case of a silhouette here. The scene is 100% back lit (with one small cheat to create a white base). The dark rim I get in the shot comes from the light that is absorbed and reflected by the glass; the thicker the glass, the darker the edge. The rims, which are thinnest, absorb the least light and are the lightest parts of the glasses.

This is the SOOC shot of the glasses.with the back-lighting from the softbox. The light drop off makes the white paper I have the glasses look gray (inverse square law at work).

Three Glasses - Red

I also took a second shot where I lit from the top to give me a light table top. All kinds of nasty reflections on the glassware, but the white paper looks white.

Three Glasses - Red

The two images were combined in Photoshop to create the image. I changed up my table top lighting a bit and used a 22" beauty dish on a boom arm to provide the top lighting. My whole setup can be seen in this image.

Three Glasses - Red
    Last edited by Manfred M; 17th April 2021 at 03:14 PM.

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    I had assumed that you would prefer a shot without the lens effects that the water adds to the image. This is one of the setup shots I did to confirm alignment of the glasses, before I added the water
    Indeed I do!