Thread: Is this the right way?

Real Name
    Ole

Is this the right way?

This shot was taken at the annual Italian Festival. I thought it was quite charming. C&C most welcome.

Is this the right way?Is this the right way? by Ole Hansen, on Flickr

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Is this the right way?

An interesting scene that definitely gets the viewer's attention.

That being said, I find the crop too tight on the left and right hand side and find that there is too much material up top. Images with a lot of writing or numerals in them are hard to do because people end up paying attention to what is written. That large tree is not ideal and pulls a lot of our attention.

Real Name
    Ole

Thank you, Manfred. This was an opportunistic shot because I saw the lady climbing aboard the tractor and I thought I'd rush over. I had less than 10 seconds to act before it was too late. I left the sign be because the lady was actually driving the wrong was, luckily the street was closed off.

The tree should go though.

Real Name
    Daniel

It got my attention. Fancy hood ornament for a tractor. Very nice, Ole.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Ole,

I agree with Manfred's comments, but accept that grab shots are often far from ideal with backgrounds that cause issues.

I see you've already done some work behind the driver hiding distractions, unfortunately, at 100%, I can see her face is a little smudged. As you've already done that work, I'd have also removed the electronic scroll sign - however, holding a finger in front of that (to hide from view), it makes the tree splitting the frame down the middle, all the more obvious.

That might be removed too, but then you'd have the problem of joining the two disparate halves of background together.

I think I have 'discussed' my way round to deciding that you stopped at the correct point

The only reason I'd take such an image further would be to develop or practice my PP skills - and if you like a challenge and have the time, why not.

Cheers,
    Dave