Thread: Walking in the Park

Real Name
    Joe

Walking in the Park

This pic is of a young lady entering the park from the East entrance, crossing a bridge. This shot taken with harsh light gave me a lot of difficulty. The side rails of the bridge were reflecting a lot of light and causing a distraction. I spent a lot of time burning the tops of the rails. Also the wooden planks appeared white and too bright. More burning. The lady was in silhouette and I had to lighten up her face and clothing. I guess it was the sunlight on her hair that attracted me. . There was graffiti on the vertical steel members in the foreground. I spent a lot of time switching from Lightroom to Photoshop so as to use the Polygon Lasso Tool and Content Aware feature. This worked fairly well except when I went back to Lightroom, I found that some of the adjustments I had previously made were lost, despite having selected to keep' Lightroom adjustments' when I chose 'Edit in PS'.

Walking in the Park

A favorite path for a walk, close to Lake Ontario's shore line, in Centennial Park.

Walking in the Park

Walking in the Park

Real Name
    Ted

Re: Walking in the Park

Joe, nice shots certainly giving the ambience of park life.

In the first shot, a slight mistiness in the mid-ground might benefit from a "De-Haze" function if you have it.

Walking in the Park

Pardon the messing with your stuff ...

Real Name
    Dan

Joe,

If you explain more how you were moving back and forth, we might be able to figure out what went wrong.

The first time you take a raw file from LR to Photoshop, LR will usually send the document with LR edits without asking, but if it asks, the correct option is "with LR edits".

Things get much more complicated when you go back and forth. If you have maximized compatibility turned on, Photoshop will save it with the the layers intact. However, Lightroom can't handle layers. It can read the file with layers, but that's about it. If you then do any edits in LR and try to go back to Photoshop, it will ask whether you want to edit the original or with lightroom edits. In this case, "original" means "as it came back from photoshop." if you choose this option, the layers will be present once it gets to Photoshop, but all LR edits you made after bringing back the first time will be lost. If you choose "with Lightroom edits," it will go to photoshop with the new Lightroom edits but without the Photoshop layers (because Lightroom can't handle layers and has to flatten the image before sending it back to Photoshop."

As a general rule, I try very hard not to go back and forth and to make only one round trip.

I don't know whether this explains what happened in your case.

Dan

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Joe - the rule of thumb I was taught was that from an image adjustment standpoint, you should look at Lightroom (or Adobe Camera Raw) to Photoshop as a "one way street". This means do all the work you are planning to do in Lightroom and then go to Photoshop, but don't go back to do other edits in Lightroom. The algorithms in the two pieces of software are not identical and one can get into trouble flipping back & forth.

If you want to use Lightroom tools when the image is in Photoshop, use the Adobe Camera Raw filter; which does almost everything that Lightroom does, but only to the layer you are working on. Unless you are working on a SmartObject, the changes are "permanent" and the only way one can undo them is to step back using the History palette in Photoshop.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 22nd April 2021 at 06:05 AM.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Joe - the rule of thumb I was taught was that from an image adjustment standpoint, you should look at Lightroom (or Adobe Camera Raw) to Photoshop as a "one way street". This means do all the work you are planning to do in Lightroom and then go to Photoshop, but don't go back to do other edits in Lightroom. The algorithms in the two pieces of software are not identical and one can get into trouble flipping back & forth.

Ah Ha!! Thanks Manfred. This explains what happened. I flipped back and forth several times!

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Joe,

I don't know whether this explains what happened in your case.

Dan
    Thanks Dan. It certainly explains what happened. I went back and forth more than once, at times compounding the problem!

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    Joe, nice shots certainly giving the ambience of park life.

In the first shot, a slight mistiness in the mid-ground might benefit from a "De-Haze" function if you have it.

Walking in the Park

Pardon the messing with your stuff ...
    Thanks Ted. Appreciate your help. I certainly cleared it up in more than one way.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

I liked the second and third image very much....in the first image the running lady looks like a doll to me(some how)

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    I liked the second and third image very much....in the first image the running lady looks like a doll to me(some how)
    I agree. Because she was in shadow I lightened her front. I overdid it and her face in now 'pasty' looking, like a doll's face.
    I will try to correct that.