Thread: Busy ... please wait ( canon 700d )

Busy ... please wait ( canon 700d )

My 700D suddenly stopped working and freezes with a "Busy ... please wait" on the LiveView or "busy" on the top panel in non-LiveView mode. Powering off the camera doesn't help. Only way is to remove the battery and re-insert it. No images saved. Happens with or without an SD card inserted.

I tried to change the card to delete all the data on the card I tried to reinstall the firmware, but everything is exactly this problem

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Busy ... please wait ( canon 700d )

Have you tried using another SD card? SD cards can malfunction.

I had a similar issue with my Nikon D90 many years ago. For some reason or other, the specific memory card was problematic, but a different card (in fact different brand) worked without any issues.

I've also had issues with a card and reformatting, rather than erasing it, in the camera solved the issue.

I tried without a map and the same problem without a map

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Raindes View Post
    I tried without a map and the same problem without a map
    I'm not sure what you mean by "map" in this context.

The error message looks like a write error. This suggests an issue with the storage media; i.e. the camera cannot write to the memory card.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

There are several situations where a Canon DSLR (and other Canon Cameras) will show "buSY"

As Manfred suggests, one reason is a faulty SD Card, however, because you state that this happens "with or without an SD card inserted", it is more likely another cause.

Firstly ensure and confirm here:

> your battery fully charged
    > the battery contacts and the camera's battery chamber contacts are clean and moisture free
    > the lens's contacts and the camera's bayonet contacts are clean and moisture free
    > the lens is seated and locked firmly

If the above are all correct and the issue persists, then, to narrow down the possibilities, please provide the details of:

> Subject and Ambient Light Level
    > Was HDR engaged
    > Was Flash engaged
    > What Camera Mode selected (i.e. Specifically what Mode - e.g. if Creative Mode Av, Tv P, or M; or if a Basic Mode, exactly what was the selected mode.
    > What Shutter Speed selected
    > What ISO selected
    > What Lens used
    > Was the Camera tethered
    > Was 'release shutter without card' [ON] (Camera Menu 1, third option down)

WW

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

By the way, it is not the best practice and it is ill-advised to 'Power Off' any Canon Camera whilst 'buSY' is displayed.

Practically, if 'buSY' were displayed on my camera for an inordinate period of time (example more than ten minutes), I would Power Off the camera, however, I wouldn’t do that repetitively.

WW

I had recently bought a Canon EOS 5DMkIV and took it to an awards event for the university where my partner worked. She was getting a special award and so I brought the new unit along - although, to be safe, I also brought a more compact unit as a backup. I was happily taking photos of the event when suddenly I got the BUSY message - literally, it was taking many seconds to download a single photo. I checked the setting, reset the camera to default and even went to just JPG, but to no avail. In the end I resorted to one shot, and the back up camera.

I returned the unit to the vendor and they sent it in for service. Turns out the cache had developed a fault, so they repaired it and thankfully it has worked perfectly since. Still, the best image I hoped for was a shot of my partner with the Vice Chancellor, both looking like deer in the headlights - so that one never got published. Luckily the backup DID work...