Thread: Serena and the kids...

Real Name
    Richard

Serena and the kids...

One of the many things I love about Serena is how gentle and trustworthy she is with little kids. She could. at close to fifty pounds, easily knock over a little kid but, she never jumps on them. Of course, one of us is always around to monitor her behavior but, she never becomes over-exuberant...

Serena and the kids...

Real Name
    Dave

Re: Serena and the kids...

Hi Rchard,

Lovely portrait, especially the toddler on the left.

But, it seems that Serena has become your avatar. That's quite a promotion!

Real Name
    Sharon

cute photo. the kids may also understand how to be around dogs? I have to make sure when we are in a public place, a child doesn't come racing up to say hi to the dog, it just makes them too nervous. Field labs tend to be a little on the anxious side anyhow, but your crew is certainly doing well together, and it's good for the puppy.

Real Name
    Richard

I try to socialize Serena as much as possible. I was a bit concerned earlier when she tended to be carsick but, riding in the back seat (instead of the rear cargo area) with the windows halfway down and the a/c on full bore seems to have done the trick. Serena has not become carsick on our last tree trips.

You are totally correct Sharon, about kids unintentionally causing problems with dogs by not knowing how to behave. The mom of these two kids keeps them in line and monitors their behavior. They also have a dog in their home so, being near a dog isn't something new for them.

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I try to socialize Serena as much as possible. I was a bit concerned earlier when she tended to be carsick but, riding in the back seat (instead of the rear cargo area) with the windows halfway down and the a/c on full bore seems to have done the trick. Serena has not become carsick on our last tree trips.

You are totally correct Sharon, about kids unintentionally causing problems with dogs by not knowing how to behave. The mom of these two kids keeps them in line and monitors their behavior. They also have a dog in their home so, being near a dog isn't something new for them.
    Poor baby but I completely get it. River momma does not like being in the vehicle. A lot of dogs get car sick or just don't seem to enjoy it. I give her "Happy Traveler" which does help. She never gets sick, but she is just not loving the ride. I think like you, we need to experiment with all our pups to figure out what works best in the car. I originally thought cages (safety and a security feeling) would be good, but eh... nope.

Good for you and your family. Sounds like all the right things are being done. For socialization, we surely did some of that. River has always had a fearful temperament ...... I would walk her around in town holding her as a puppy at 8 weeks, someone would come up slowly to say hello, and she'd climb my shoulders and pee on me
    . Tried to get her less fearful but there is some genetics there, so it's all done on her terms.

There is a great trainer out there with an article entitled "Why I don't socialize my dogs". Definitely worth a read, she's great. (not what you think, just a different approach than flooding a poor puppY)
    Last edited by lovelife65; 2nd May 2021 at 03:47 AM.

Real Name
    Richard

Sharon,

I have tried "Happy Traveler" on your previous advice and want to thank you. That was the first time Serena did not get sick on a car trip.

Perhaps the combination of not feeding her before the car trip, backseat and open windows, a/c blowing hard and "Happy Traveler" will allow the puppy more freedom when it comes to car rides.

I dearly love this "not so little" girl and she is so mellow and obedient on walks that it is a pleasure to have her along with me.

In a couple of weeks, we will have the big test... My town has an old car rally on Friday nights from mid-May to October. Lots of people, car engines revving and a few bands playing. My German-Shepherd-Wolf hybrid hated the noise and crowds. My Goldendoodle is totally ambivalent and... we'll just see how Serena reacts to the commotion...

The wolf-dog didn't like people all that well and my Goldendoodle has always been a bit of a scardy-cat. Serena is the most outgoing, people oriented large dog I have had in my dog family... She just loves everyone, especially kids...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 2nd May 2021 at 02:56 PM.

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Sharon,

I have tried "Happy Traveler" on your previous advice and want to thank you. That was the first time Serena did not get sick on a car trip.

Perhaps the combination of not feeding her before the car trip, backseat and open windows, a/c blowing hard and "Happy Traveler" will allow the puppy more freedom when it comes to car rides.

I dearly love this "not so little" girl and she is so mellow and obedient on walks that it is a pleasure to have her along with me.

In a couple of weeks, we will have the big test... My town has an old car rally on Friday nights from mid-May to October. Lots of people, car engines revving and a few bands playing. My German-Shepherd-Wolf hybrid hated the noise and crowds. My Goldendoodle is totally ambivalent and... we'll just see how Serena reacts to the commotion...

The wolf-dog didn't like people all that well and my Goldendoodle has always been a bit of a scardy-cat. Serena is the most outgoing, people oriented large dog I have had in my dog family... She just loves everyone, especially kids...
    They each have their own personalities, don't they? I used to feel terrible about River and her fear, thinking we did something wrong(and admittedly we did make mistakes, as slow and on her terms is the name of the game and we may have tried to force things too much). River is a huge love bug overall, she gives wonderful hugs.
    It's so fun to talk with another dog lover, even on a photography forum. They are amazing creatures.
    Leash walks... well, that's another story. With the high prey drive it can be a challenge. Our male tries so hard, he is very cute, but boy see a squirrel, deer, etc. and all is lost. We are using halti head collars on the two female pups, so much gentler on their throats, even on a well-fitted harness they can choke themselves.

I am so happy to see such a sweet pup well-received in your family! She sounds wonderful, and I'm sure the love will be distributed for many years. Congrats on a cute little lady.

Real Name
    Richard

"Leash walks... well, that's another story. With the high prey drive it can be a challenge."

Several years ago, I was introduced to the Euro-Lead concept at a dog training seminar and it works excellently with rambunctious dogs.

The concept is that you use a halter that has two attachment points: one at the dogs back and one at the dog's chest. The lead has a pair of snaps, one at each end as well as a couple of "D" rings to adjust the length of the lead. You attach one snap at the dog's back and the snap at the other end of the lead to the attachment point at the dog's chest. This will keep the most aggressive puller in check... I saw this tested with a large and very untrained pit bull. The dog pulled the trainer all around until the trainer used the two connection harness and Euro lead. It cause the dog absolutely no discomfort but, the change in behavior was short of miraculous...

NOTE: for some reason, my wife has never absorbed this concept and doesn't like the Euro system...

Serena and the kids...

I have a setup like this for Serena but, she really doesn't need it. A regular collar and lead is all she really needs. From the first time I had the pup walking on a lead, you would have thought that she had been professionally trained. I was walking in my yard practicing lead work with Serena when a bunny hopped out of the bushes. Serena, who lives to chase bunnies, did not lunge for the rabbit.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 3rd May 2021 at 02:52 PM.

Real Name
    Sharon

Interesting but I’m probably in line with your wife. I don’t like harnesses that have a straight across the shoulders and chest fit, it causes a change in their gait. Too restrictive for full shoulder movement. We do use a haquihana harness which is a y harness and does not restrict. Also, admittedly been using the gentle lead head collar carefully and honestly that works best for keeping them calm and no pulling. It seems to take the edge off. No choking either!
    Thanks for the suggestion tho, I believe it to be another option for some for sure.