Thread: Topaz DeNoise

Real Name
    Richard

Topaz DeNoise

https://www.topazlabs.com/denoise-ai...3vA3FdUaEuQYhc

I generally use NIK noise reduction. Has anyone tried the Topaz DeNoise?

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Topaz DeNoise

I don't use either one, but there are lots of comparisons of the two on the web. Just search for "topaz denoise nik define compare" without the quotes.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Carefully said, the Topaz AI branded software uses something akin to an annual subscription model. I use DeNoise AI and DxO PhotoLab DeepPrime and in my experience, both are very, very close in terms of image quality. The only downside of DeepPrime is that it only works on raw files (which is the ideal place to do noise reduction).

Nik Dfine, I do not use any more as there are much better products out there now and that product is badly in need of an update.

The main negative of both DeNoise and DeepPrime is that they are slow. It takes several minutes to process a file.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 22nd May 2021 at 12:16 AM.

Real Name
    Dan

I just looked, and it doesn’t appear that Topaz is quite a subscription model. It looks to me that you buy the software, which usually comes bundled with a 1 year upgrade license. You then can purchase at any later date an additional one-year upgrade license. Do I understand this correctly?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    I just looked, and it doesn’t appear that Topaz is quite a subscription model. It looks to me that you buy the software, which usually comes bundled with a 1 year upgrade license. You then can purchase at any later date an additional one-year upgrade license. Do I understand this correctly?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Most plug-ins that I have used either have no additional charges or only charge when there is a major version upgrade. Here, the first minor upgrade after a year comes our with annoying nag screens that cannot be turned off. Updates on these products seem to be very frequent; every 3 - 6 weeks so far.

That's why I suggest that these are somewhat akin to an annual subscription model; no it does not stop working, but is a pain to use without an upgrade.

Real Name
    Dan

Thanks. That's helpful. I looked at some reviews, and I was thinking that even though I use noise reduction relatively little, it might be worth the current sale price of US$59 to get Topaz Denoise. However, if I am going to have to pay an additional $49 per year just to avoid nag screens, I think it may exceed what it's worth to me.

If I were doing a lot of bird photography or theater work, where one often needs to push ISO very high, I might be more tempted. However, I just don't do much work that requires me to go over ISO 800--more often 400 or less--and if I'm careful with exposure, ISO 800 is pretty clean on my 5D IV.

I haven't heard any rumors, but I wouldn't be surprised if Adobe included an AI-based noise reduction option in a new release in the future. They have been slowly adding features to compete with innovations by others, e.g., better sky replacement. I never use the current Photoshop function and instead do NR in LR/ACR, which has more powerful controls.

Real Name
    Richard

This is an interesting quickie video on noise reduction in Photoshop/Adobe Camera Raw. Does this seem plausible - worth the effort???
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxzXQJVNYwM&t=370s

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    This is an interesting quickie video on noise reduction in Photoshop/Adobe Camera Raw. Does this seem plausible - worth the effort???
    Absolutely 100% yes! I use the same approach for output sharpening and even import sharpening.

My workflow is not identical to his, but the end result will be the same. I create a noise reduction or sharpening layer, apply a layer mask and select the areas that I want the effect applied. I find his workflow a bit awkward, though.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I think might be helpful to break this into three questions:

1. is the noise reduction in ACR/LR, which he uses, capable? In my opinion, yes, but unlike something like Nik Define, it has no automatic option. It has 6 parameters that you set manually, and it takes a bit to learn to use them well.

2. Does it make sense to apply denoising locally rather than globally? Absolutely. Programs like Define, left in their default mode, try to figure this out for you. In LR/ACR, the first way you do this is with the masking slider. Beyond that, you can do it with a mask, as he does.

3. Does it make sense to do this with a luminosity mask? I've never done it, but I can see situations where it is a logical thing to do. However, I disagree with his statement that you notice noise most in the shadows. Noise is most severe in the shadows in the sense that the signal/noise ration is relatively low, but that isn't the same as being noticeable. I find that noise is often particularly noticeable in smooth but well exposed areas, e.g., relatively bright backgrounds in macro shots. The masking slider in ACR/LR is one way to address this: as you move it to the right, it gradually masks off decreasingly smooth areas.

So my bottom line is to look at the particular image and see where in the image noise is bothersome. Then, one can figure out how best to localize noise reduction to those areas. You can do this with Define as well, either by using control points or by applying a mask to the Nik layer in photoshop.