Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Memorial Day

Real Name
    Richard

Memorial Day

Today was a coming out... It was the first event that I attended since the Pandemic hit with its full fury. Appropriately, it was a Memorial Day Ceremony hosted by a coalition of military veterans organizations of Escondido, California.

I was honored to meet this gentleman, Fred Shipman. Fred is a veteran of World War Two and served with the Fourth Infantry Division from the D-Day Normandy Landing through the Battle of the Bulge.

Memorial Day

There are not many veterans of that War left - especially veterans who saw as much combat as Fred Shipman...

The thing about veterans events like this is that many memories (both good and bad) return to me as I talk to other veterans...

Real Name
    Len

Re: Memorial Day

Agreed, not many of these veterans of WWII left now. Fred must be well into his 90's I should think. We owe them a debt of gratitude.

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Memorial Day

I did not ask him his age but, considering that he was probably at least 18 on D-Day. 6 June 1944, he would be about 95+ years old. He seems in unbelievably good shape.

Speaking about age, when I first wore this hat, people would say, "My brother was in Vietnam also!"

Memorial Day

Then it was, "My father was in Vietnam!"

Now people say, "My grandfather was in Vietnam!"
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 31st May 2021 at 11:54 PM.