Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NIK Collection 4 - UPGRADE ?

Real Name
    Richard

NIK Collection 4 - UPGRADE ?

I just received an Email announcement of a NIK4 collection. I have been using NIK for years and really like it. I use portions of it along with ACR and Photoshop for virtually all my workflow... However, I cannot determine:

1. What new capabilities NIK4 will offer me (if any).
    and/or
    2. If there is an upgrade price for present NIK users.

I cannot determine the number of my present NIK collection but, I have always kept the program updated...

My NIK software includes:
    Analog Efex Pro 2
    Color Efex Pro 4
    Dfine 2
    HDR Efex Pro 2
    Prospective Efex
    Sharpener Pro 3 (RAW and Output)
    Silver Efex Pro 2
    Viveza 2

I mostly use the following:
    Dfine 2
    Sharpener Pro 3 (RAW)
    Silver Efex Pro 2
    and
    Viveza

I very seldom use the presets in:
    Color Efex Pro2

I never use the following:
    Analog Efex Pro 2
    Prospective Efex
    DR Efex Pro 2

I am wondering if it would be worthwhile for me to upgrade to the NIK4 Collection. I would seriously consider it IF there have ben any improvements to the Control Point system...

Real Name
    Dan

Re: NIK Collection 4 - UPGRADE ?

I read somewhere that there have been improvements in the control point technology and that these had something to do with specifying color, but I didn't read it carefully. I find that I use Nik less and less, so I'm not planning on upgrading. For that reason, I didn't read it carefully. However, I suspect that if you search, there is already a fair among on the web about it.

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I just received an Email announcement of a NIK4 collection. I have been using NIK for years and really like it. I use portions of it along with ACR and Photoshop for virtually all my workflow... However, I cannot determine:

1. What new capabilities NIK4 will offer me (if any).
    and/or
    2. If there is an upgrade price for present NIK users.

I cannot determine the number of my present NIK collection but, I have always kept the program updated...

My NIK software includes:
    Analog Efex Pro 2
    Color Efex Pro 4
    Dfine 2
    HDR Efex Pro 2
    Prospective Efex
    Sharpener Pro 3 (RAW and Output)
    Silver Efex Pro 2
    Viveza 2

I mostly use the following:
    Dfine 2
    Sharpener Pro 3 (RAW)
    Silver Efex Pro 2
    and
    Viveza

I very seldom use the presets in:
    Color Efex Pro2

I never use the following:
    Analog Efex Pro 2
    Prospective Efex
    DR Efex Pro 2

I am wondering if it would be worthwhile for me to upgrade to the NIK4 Collection. I would seriously consider it IF there have ben any improvements to the Control Point system...
    Start here:
    https://nikcollection.dxo.com/
    and take advantage of the free trial.

Also browse the NIK section of the DxO forum:
    https://feedback.dxo.com/c/nik-by-dxo/27

Where this post:
    https://feedback.dxo.com/t/nik-4-wont-install/19434
    gives some insight into the mysteries of NIK version numbering.

Hope this helps,

stuck

EDITED TO ADD:
    Yes, current users get a discount. Login to your DxO account to see the price:
    https://shop.dxo.com/en/
    NB there's a another small discount on the headline price available with a discount code that's offered via a pop-up.
    Last edited by stuck; 3rd June 2021 at 06:05 PM.

Real Name
    Tatiana

IMO, The Nik Collection moves even farther away from being a unified collection of plugins with version 4. DxO/Nik has made it tough to argue if an update is necessary once again.

Real Name
    Dave

Robin Whalley has done a review here: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...mcl-0KgeeT5Y83

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thanks, Dave. That is a good look at what is new.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Interesting point - All controls (sliders, etc) do not respond to a Wacom pen on a Intuos Pro Tablet. I've got to use the mouse to make anything work.

Quote Originally Posted by oe31 View Post
    IMO, The Nik Collection moves even farther away from being a unified collection of plugins with version 4. DxO/Nik has made it tough to argue if an update is necessary once again.
    Sort of related, take note of this:
    https://feedback.dxo.com/t/using-nik...y-photos/19471

stuck

Real Name
    Dan

Certainly seems at first blush that they were not ready for prime time. In addition to the problems listed on these sites, they released the product before updating the UI for all of the apps, so different apps now function differently. I was inclined not to update because I use Nik less and less, but this seals the deal. I'm not spending money for an update that seems to be an incomplete beta version.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Interesting point - All controls (sliders, etc) do not respond to a Wacom pen on a Intuos Pro Tablet. I've got to use the mouse to make anything work.
    I've had no such issue Donald, I just tried it and my Wacom tablet / stylus work just fine.

Real Name
    Dave

DPR have also done a review: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/dxo...ction-4-review

Some of the comments are also interesting

Real Name
    Richard

I just upgraded... Sixty bucks is not all that much and there are a few new bells and whistles that I will enjoy using...

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re my post (above). I note Manfred's reply.

However, my problem persists. Given I have never encountered anything like this before I would like to ask those of you who feel able to offer an opinion, how would you go about trying to fix this?

I am a bit of a loss.

The pen on my tablet will open any pf the Nik packages from Photoshop and will close the package, but it will not move any slider/control, it will not pick any of the presets, etc. It is effectively dead.

ps: Reinstalling the Intuous Pro driver doesn't work.

pps: Just discovered that it is only on Silver Efex Pro and Viveza (the two that have changed) that the tablet doesn't work. It's fine on the others. Mmm, interesting.
    Last edited by Donald; 7th June 2021 at 09:30 AM.

...pps: Just discovered that it is only on Silver Efex Pro and Viveza (the two that have changed) that the tablet doesn't work. It's fine on the others. Mmm, interesting.
    In which case, you could try opening a Support Ticket with DxO:
    https://support.dxo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

stuck

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

pps: Just discovered that it is only on Silver Efex Pro and Viveza (the two that have changed) that the tablet doesn't work. It's fine on the others. Mmm, interesting.
    Very strange Donald. The stylus is really nothing more than a fancy mouse. I would pass this over the DxO to see what they say. Bugs are not unusual in any new release and seeing that you are finding the problem in the two modules that have been updated suggests there is something strange going on somewhere.

I had problems installing the software and had to jump through hoops to get it running in the first place. Seems to work fine now, but I did get a strange error message on one specific, huge file using the unchanged components.

Real Name
    Dan

The stylus is really nothing more than a fancy mouse.
    True, but if I remember correctly--I may not--the tablet uses its own drivers, not the OS mouse driver. Is that right? If so, it would be possible for the developer to have one working properly and not the other.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Donald - I've uninstalled all of the Nik software and reinstalled version 4 and the control points have no effect at all, not just in the two updated packages (Silver Efex and Viveza), but in the other ones as well (Color Efex). Neither the mouse nor the tablet have any effect.

The masks are created, but they have no effect on the image itself.

I will be putting in a ticket with DxO on this one.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Okay, so I think we can say it's a DXO problem, not a 'me or my computer' issue.

Let me know how you get on with DXO, Manfred. I will do the same. Hopefully with your and my ticket (and I'm sure many others) they will realise that they have created a problem.

Real Name
    Dan

I just searched (very briefly) for a history of Nik collection upgrades. I wasn't able to find one. My impression is that the software is trying to serve two very different markets and that this is pulling them in two very different directions. To oversimplify, market #1 is people who want presets or effects, and market #2 is people who want editing tools. I suspect many people on this forum are more in market #2 than in market #1. I certainly am; apart from some film emulation presents in Silver Efex, I don't think I've every used a Nik preset in a finished image. My impression is that many of the additional features in Nik updates have been presets, none of which I have used. There have been some editing updates also; I bought the last version for Perspective Efex, which I didn't have because I don't have other DxO software. But apart from that, my use of version 3 has been identical to my use of version 2. Version 4 offers more control over the definition of control points, which at least in principle sounds useful. However, I'll wait to see whether people find that it is useful after these and the other bugs have been worked out.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Okay, so I think we can say it's a DXO problem, not a 'me or my computer' issue.

Let me know how you get on with DXO, Manfred. I will do the same. Hopefully with your and my ticket (and I'm sure many others) they will realise that they have created a problem.
    I'll let you know when I hear back...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast