Thread: Eric Bogle - Somewhere in America

Real Name
    Martin

Eric Bogle - Somewhere in America

Recently, I was asked to take some promotional shots of Eric Bogle and his band. Eric is a well known Scottish folk singer-songwriter now living in Australia.

We agreed that no money would exchange hands but that Eric would pose for a couple of "arty" shots after the shoot.

This image is one of the "arty" shots. It probably won't score well in photo competitions due to the fact that there is no eye contact. But it reflects a fellow who expresses a lot of empathy in his work and has a great sense of humour. He describes himself as "Tall, Handsome, Talented and Delusional."

It was taken in my "lounge/studio" using indirect natural light with Eric facing an open window.

Canon 5D Mk iv, 1/100, f/4.5, ISO 1250
    Lens: Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG HSM Art 016 prime lens

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Eric Bogle - Somewhere in America

Wow. Just wow!!!

Eric Bogle is one of my 'all stars'. You can keep your (insert whoever or whatever) is currently flavour of the month. Eric Bogle is the real deal. I heard him once in Glenfarg is a small intimate setting. His lyrics just blow the mind away.

I am so jealous.

ps - I am no portaitist, but I like the image.

Real Name
    Dave

I'm with Donald on this (though I've never had the good fortune to see Eric Bogle live).

When I saw the thread title I immediately thought is this the Eric Bogle, and of course it is. For me, June Tabor singing Eric's songs is as good, or as sad, as it gets.

I dont know if it would win prizes, but as Martin says it seems to capture the essence of the man.

Real Name
    Bill

Terrific protrait - another example of why on earth do we spend money on lights when there is a perect free source available (for a few hours a day at any rate - oops, I've just answered my own question ).

Real Name
    Richard

I am also a fan of Eric Bogle...

I like the lighting and PP of his portrait, especially regarding the top of Eric's head. When shooting a guy who is tonsorially challenged like Eric and I am, it is easy to get reflections off the domes of our heads.

Appropriate to Eric Bogle's famous piece, "The Band Played Waltzing Matilda", I have just finished a book written by a young British Naval Officer who was present at the "Dardanelles Campaign", https://read.amazon.com/?asin=B08L3MX46H&language=en-US

I enjoy history books that were written around the time of the subject matter, rather than those that have been influenced by years of historical writing.

It is one of the many books on history I have in my Kindle Library... Most of these books are either free or cost only one U.S. Dollar. Neat thing about Kindle Books is that I don't have to worry about storing or getting rid of them after I have read the books...

I also have guide books on my Sony cameras that I store on the Kindle Cloud...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 20th June 2021 at 01:56 PM.

Real Name
    Dan

Regardless of how it might score in a competition, I think this is a superb portrait. Congratulatoins. Were it mine, it would go up on a wall.

I do have a minor suggestion that I think might make this even better. It's quite dark, which I assume you did deliberately for the mood. Still, I think it could be brightened a little to bring out detail without losing the mood. Similarly, I think you could dodge the dark side of his face a bit to bring out detail there. I tried this, using a global increase of about 1/4 stop and some dodging, and for my taste, that helps, but your taste might be different.

In any case, a superb portait.

Real Name
    Sharon

Absolutely beautiful! I honestly love the look, it shows a man in contemplation in many ways. Very emotional photo.
    I have never heard of him, so now I must look him up.
    Thank you for sharing, wonderful work.

edit: Okay I just listened to No Man's Land... I'm in love!!! Just beautiful.

Real Name
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Similarly, I think you could dodge the dark side of his face a bit to bring out detail there. I tried this, using a global increase of about 1/4 stop and some dodging, and for my taste, that helps, but your taste might be different.

In any case, a superb portait.
    Thanks Dan. I tried lightening the image slightly before I posted it and lost the serene effect. However, I will try your suggestion of slightly dodging the shadow on the side of his face. Thank you

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

I don't know the man, but I like the portrait.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

It is a strong natural light image and frankly the lack of eye contact is not a weakness in any portrait, in my view.

The only thing that really bothers me with the shot are the "hot" reflections on the glasses on the camera left side. Take a minute or so to fix that and I feel the image is stronger.

Real Name
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    The only thing that really bothers me with the shot are the "hot" reflections on the glasses on the camera left side. Take a minute or so to fix that and I feel the image is stronger.
    Thanks Manfred. I hadn't noticed them. Now fixed: as well as some of the lens refractions in the shadow in his right eye socket.

Last edited by Wandjina; 21st June 2021 at 11:52 PM.