Thread: View from my bedroom window

Real Name
    Richard

View from my bedroom window

It was enjoyable this morning to wake up to this display...

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: View from my bedroom window

They are so far ahead of ours in Scotland, the flower stalks of which still have to appear from between the leaves. Mind you when you compare to Southern California to Scotland in terms of climate and weather, well it's pretty obvious why this should be the case.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

The view out of your window is far superior to what I see.

Given what I have read about the drought conditions in California, I assume you are doing a lot of watering to keep the flowers looking beautiful?

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    The view out of your window is far superior to what I see.

Given what I have read about the drought conditions in California, I assume you are doing a lot of watering to keep the flowers looking beautiful?
    Drought is throughout a good chunk of the US in general. Our irrigation district is giving flow for two months versus six. Even western Washington is dry. And the heat is record breaking here and across much of the Pacific Northwest.
    Not sure about where Richard is but there is no water to keep things pretty 😒 and crops could be lost. Hopefully it will put a lot of the hemp farms out of biz at least.

Real Name
    Richard

Drought tolerant landscape

You can still have a decent looking yard and save water too! I got rid of all my lawn and my plants are drought tolerant with low water needs. My yard is irrigated with minimal water and that is from a drip irrigation system. The rosemary on the slope also requires a minimum amount of water.

The area in front of my bedroom window is quite small and well over half of that is a rock garden. It looks like dense vegetation because of the way I shot it... The vegetation is composed of three deep rooted mature trees and a few plants and some drought tolerant ground cover

all of which are watered with a greywater system from my washing machine... This is legal as per the building codes in the area in which I live. The laundry room is located behind the window at upper center of the image. Whatever precipitation we get is also diverted from my roof to the vegetation... Even on rainless months, there is quite a bit of precipitation from evening mist and clouds (I live at 1.400 feet altitude)...

All-in-all, we use less than 30% of the water that we used before we converted to a low water landscape...

We are also self sufficient with a solar generated power system... I can run my A/C to keep my house cool with no regrets about the environment and no shock at the price the utility company charges me...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 27th June 2021 at 04:33 AM.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Re: Drought tolerant landscape

Lovely garden and flowers