Thread: Stewartia bloom, first edit

Real Name
    Dan

Stewartia bloom, first edit

I find it hard to decide how to edit images like this. The detail in the white petals is faint, but too much work to bring it out makes the image harsh. This is my first working edit of this one. C&C welcome.

It's a stack of 36 images using Zerene's PMax algorithm. I did some edits in Nik after Photoshop, which is the part I have questions about.

Real Name
    Ted

Re: Stewartia bloom, first edit

Others here can give you good Adobe advice, Dan, but I find white petals usually quite difficult and prefer to unleash "smart" stuff onto them:

Your posted original.

with Contrast-Limited Adaptive Histogram Enhancement (ImageJ)

with de-Haze (RawTherapee default setting)

with Contrast By Detail Levels (RawTherapee)

Thoughts?

P.S. Adjustments were global with no selections made.
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 24th June 2021 at 03:40 PM. Reason: added P.S.

Real Name
    Dan

Ted,

Thanks.

The dehaze doesn't look much different. The other two look overcooked to me, and the Contrast by Detail Levels washed out color.

I was using "smart" stuff, which was one of my hesitations. In the case of CLAH, we actually know what the software is doing. With lots of "smart" software, I don't have a clue, which is my hesitation. It's the reason I am skittish about Nik filters. Some of them are helpful with certain kinds of images, but I feel I'm flying at least partly blind. In this case, I played with three filters in Color Efex: pro contrast, tonal contrast, and detail extractor. I have an impression of what they do, but if you asked me to tell you how they differ technically, I wouldn't be able to. The version I posted uses only the first two. Detail extractor helps with the anthers but overdoes the petals, so I left it off, but I may add it as a local adjustment.

Dan

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    The dehaze doesn't look much different.
    Yes, I left it at default which I assume is set for average haze whatever that is. It can be cranked quite a bit.

The other two look overcooked to me, and the Contrast by Detail Levels washed out color
    As you know I can be quite heavy-handed at times. The CLAH settings were: block size 31, bin size 64, and contrast limit 2. I often find a limit of 1.5 to be "better".

I noticed the reduced color in the CBDL too. Didn't give it much thought because I was concentrating on the petal detail.

The examples weren't really posted for C&C - more like illustrations of other methods. Their degree of "cooking" lies in the hands of the user ...
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 25th June 2021 at 11:09 AM. Reason: added note re: C&C

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Nice details