Thread: Tennessee Night

Real Name
    Daniel

Tennessee Night

Found this photo searching for something else. I took it about a year ago. It is rural and quiet. I darkened the driveway and tree. Also removed a colored haze from around the moon and corner in Lightroom. Handheld shot.

Tennessee Night

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Re: Tennessee Night

An excellent image; i desired if the fluorescent reflection on the human face were changed to incandescence

Real Name
    David Mareček

Nice picture.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I find that night shots are very demanding of the photographer and challenging to pull off because of the high dynamic range in that shooting situation. Blue hour is a lot easier to work with, but unfortunately is quite short.

I'm not loving the white balance / colour temperature you are using and find that there is too much negative space.

Real Name
    Daniel

Thank you, Manfred. I agree with the white balance being off. Did some Auto corrections. Have been trying to remove the red haze near the moon. I made a selection of the area but don't know exactly how to proceed to do it.

Tennessee Night]

Real Name
    Dan

If I understand right, the red area was caused by using an auto correction. That also created odd lighting in general. I wouldn't use anything auto. The computer algorithms in the auto function are almost certainly not based on night photography. That's probably why it increased the brightness of the driveway, which is a bad change.

Both the high dynamic range and the very large difference in color temperatures between the exterior and interior light make this sort of image very tough. I'm guessing that this was illuminated either by old car headlights or a sodium vapor street light.

The first thing I would do is cool the temperature to get rid of the yellow color cast. I'd then burn the left and bottom because I would want the viewer's attention to be on the man rather than the driveway. I'd then try to warm up the color of the light coming from inside. To do this, you create a color balance layer with a black mask and paint white on the mask where you want the change to happen. I fiddled for a few minutes and came up with this:

Tennessee Night
    Last edited by DanK; 6th July 2021 at 01:42 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

+1 to Dan's comments. Auto WB tends to have limitations, especially at very low (below 3500K) and very high (above 8000K) colour temperatures. Doing this manually in the raw convertor is a good start.

Night images tend to be a bit tricky as part of the subject can be illuminated by artificial light (like the house and grass) while the sky is influenced by reflected sunlight by the moon; something we refer to as "mixed lighting". Separating the two using layer masks is one approach that does a reasonably good good job blending these two light sources. The fastest and easiest fid is to go to a B&W image.

Real Name
    Daniel

Thank you, Dan. You're a very good fiddler. Lighting comes from a street light on the electric pole. Do you think lightenig the moon would help image? And maybe adding a few stars? I like the direction you pointd out. Will work on it.

Real Name
    Dan

Lighting comes from a street light on the electric pole
    Makes sense. Almost certainly a sodium vapor lamp. They are becoming less common--they are being replaced by LEDs--but for years, that tell-tale yellow cast was a give-away.

You could try lightening the moon. I didn't try that.

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    +1 to Dan's comments. Auto WB tends to have limitations, especially at very low (below 3500K) and very high (above 8000K) colour temperatures. Doing this manually in the raw convertor is a good start.

Night images tend to be a bit tricky as part of the subject can be illuminated by artificial light (like the house and grass) while the sky is influenced by reflected sunlight by the moon; something we refer to as "mixed lighting". Separating the two using layer masks is one approach that does a reasonably good job blending these two light sources. The fastest and easiest fid is to go to a B&W image.
    I Will try your quick-fix solution, b/w. Will also look into your other suggestions. Need to s[end more time finding my way in photo shop. Thank you.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Just a quick look at the image. I worked from your original post as I found the moon and foreground far too hot and distracting in the second version.

In this image, I pulled out most of the yellow and some of the red (Photoshop Hue / Saturation Adjustment) working with the red and yellow "channels" rather than the default "Master" selection.

Tennessee Night

In this second one, converting to B&W solves all the colour issues.

Tennessee Night

Real Name
    Daniel

Thanks, Manfred. I like both renditions.
    This is more like what I wanted to do. Keep the moon prominent, remove red haze and add stars. I think the coloring has improved but not as nice as yours.

Tennessee Night