Thread: Me

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Me

No I haven't taken up a new profession...

I thought I would share a shot taken of me by my classmate, Nicolas St Pierre. There are six of us enrolled in an advanced lighting class and the assignment we are working at is to take two images showing how studio lighting can be used to tell a visual story. The end product (due in 4 weeks) is to create a magazine cover that show the same person, in the same outfit in a good and bad light. We have to use our own lighting equipment to create the image.

There are six of us in the class and every person in the class is a very accomplished photographer.

This is the "good" me. I am standing in front of a scrim with a 24" beauty dish creating the "halo". Two strip boxes on either side are used to create the rim light and a 7 ft umbrella right in front of me is being used as the key light and is providing on-axis light.

We had 45 minutes to set everything up and get at least one decent workable image. This is probably the biggest challenge because it real life, it would take a couple of hours of setup and testing to be ready to do the shot.

Our instructor is a well known commercial photographer who works with a lot of "A-list" companies for their advertising campaigns. http://www.adrienduey.com/about.html

Me
    Last edited by Manfred M; 17th July 2021 at 02:47 AM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Me

Bless me, Father.

Real Name
    Ole

Bless me. Father.

Real Name
    James

Manfred, if you please, I would like to see the 'other you' too! (presuming of course that you and your fellow student are willing )

The nimbus created is very, even gloriously effective .

I have no real experience of studio photography, but I am fascinated by both the combination of the light science and the vision needed to craft such images.

A question though, I can see no indication of any specular or other reflections in your glasses. Is this the result of lighting by true 'masters' of the art or are you just wearing empty frames ???
    Last edited by Astro; 17th July 2021 at 09:41 AM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Manfred, if you please, I would like to see the 'other you' too! (presuming of course that you and your fellow student are willing )

The nimbus created is very, even gloriously effective .

I have no real experience of studio photography, but I am fascinated by both the combination of the light science and the vision needed to craft such images.

A question though, I can see no indication of any specular or other reflections in your glasses. Is this the result of lighting by true 'masters' of the art or are you just wearing empty frames ???
    I can't show the "other me" because it hasn't been shot yet. We are planning to do that image in the first or second week of August.

Those are my regular glasses, so the key light that was used and the angle of my head eliminated any noticeable reflections.

Real Name
    Daniel

Really nice job Manfred. A bit of a surprise. Can’t wait to see your bad side.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Here are some reasonably good models of the lighting setup.

Me

Me