Thread: Champion Ball Herder

Real Name
    Sharon

Champion Ball Herder

Took camera out to big field with our dogs today. Very smoky, unhealthy air, so waited for a bit to see if winds would clear it up.

Anyhow, our male lab Kulshan loves to herd the ball. It's the love of his life. He's extremely talented, moving very fast, through and over things, and he loves to get it up in the air.

I don't think my focus was good on this, as the aperture may have been off, but his expression shows his love of getting it up. Wish I could find some Treiball competitions for him, I know he'd kick butt.
    Me, I'm still practicing getting these beautiful dogs in all their glorious action.

Champion Ball HerderChampion ball herder by sharonkay finley, on Flickr

Real Name
    Daniel

Re: Champion Ball Herder

Hi Sharon; I like the intensity of the moment. I cropped and rotated your image to bring the focus entirely on the moment. Playing with the crop and rotation can result in some interesting renditions. To me anyway.

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by escape View Post
    Hi Sharon; I like the intensity of the moment. I cropped and rotated your image to bring the focus entirely on the moment. Playing with the crop and rotation can result in some interesting renditions. To me anyway.
    Thanks! You are right, room for improvement always. They are SO fast, really hard to capture... but good to work on my skills.

Real Name
    Bruce

Sharon, this is a good action shot-- you captured it at a great moment.
    When you're shooting this kind of scene, do you use what I think of as machine gun mode (I don't remember the technical name -- burst mode?)?
    When something is happening really fast, it's impossible, at least for me, to judge the precise moment to press the shutter.

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by Cantab View Post
    Sharon, this is a good action shot-- you captured it at a great moment.
    When you're shooting this kind of scene, do you use what I think of as machine gun mode (I don't remember the technical name -- burst mode?)?
    When something is happening really fast, it's impossible, at least for me, to judge the precise moment to press the shutter.
    Thanks Bruce, you are correct I need to put my camera into the burst mode.... that would help immensely. He is so talented, I am going to keep working on capturing him in all his ball herding joy.

Real Name
    Richard

Great shot of a handsome dog.... I agree with Bruce that burst mode would give you the advantage of a selection of images - each one a bit different and unique from the others... These are two shots from a burst sequence...

Champion Ball Herder

Champion Ball Herder
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 10th August 2021 at 08:42 PM.