Thread: Don't breathe

Real Name
    Sharon

Don't breathe

Unfortunate smoke-filled reality of summer on the West Coast USA it seems (not JUST the West Coast, many parts are either burning or flooding).

Don't breatheDon't breathe by sharonkay finley, on Flickr

Real Name
    Ole

Re: Don't breathe

This is the new normal I think. We don't seem to learn that this is now a very fragile planet. If world leaders will not act on climate change it may well be up to the very big international companies to react since it is in their interest to do so.
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I can just imagine how bad it must be and this image certainly gives us an strong view of the "collateral damage" from the distant (and not too distant) fires. We have been getting warnings about air quality / particulate matter from fires that are many hundreds of miles / kilometers from where we live. The smell of burning wood in the evening air tells me that these fires are huge.

Real Name
    Sharon

At least in this photo one can still see the hills. That hasn’t always been the case in the last day or two.

Yes, this is the sad new normal. The planet is very angry.
    I believe the economic consequences of climate change will force action, but maybe that is optimistic. I think president biden is trying, but maybe it’s too late and there is still too much resistance.
    The global implications are significant.
    Southern Oregon has set all time records for sustained extreme heat. The one fire burning is the largest in record and has been creating its own weather extremes.
    Next week back up into record temps. So scary. Not sure how anyone can continue to deny climate change (I guess the same people deny Covid too).
    Take care out there.

Real Name
    Colin S

I live in Denver, pretty far away from the fires, and the air looks similar if not worse than your Southern Oregon pics. Last weekend, Denver had the worst air quality in the world, and the foothills, maybe 10 miles from my house, were not visible through the smog

Real Name
    Dan

While it’s of course not even remotely as bad here in the east, the
    E smoke has reached the coast on a number of occasions. Parts of MA had a health alert recently because of the smoke.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by YossarianXXI View Post
    I live in Denver, pretty far away from the fires, and the air looks similar if not worse than your Southern Oregon pics. Last weekend, Denver had the worst air quality in the world, and the foothills, maybe 10 miles from my house, were not visible through the smog
    I spent 4 years in Cheyenne, WY (USAF) and then 7 years in Denver (College and then a job at the Regional Council of Govts) and remember Denver's "Brown cloud" as they would call it. It was always more from automobiles and the trapping of air from inversions than wildfires. Very sorry you are dealing with it too. Used to LOVE to go skiing in Colorado.

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    While it’s of course not even remotely as bad here in the east, the
    E smoke has reached the coast on a number of occasions. Parts of MA had a health alert recently because of the smoke.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Hi Dan, from what I understand the smoke from the Oregon fire made its way all the way to the East Coast. Very sad, it's such a pretty area that is burning. We didn't hit the 100 degrees today as the sun really never came out. Still can't see the hills, air reached unhealthy levels today. Been awhile since I've hiked the dogs as it's either been too hot, too smoky or both. Luckily we can entertain and exercise them in other ways or they would be bouncing off the walls.
    Take care out there.

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by lovelife65 View Post
    from what I understand the smoke from the Oregon fire made its way all the way to the East Coast.
    I was on the Manhatten waterfront on the eastside taking pictures the day before they announced the smoke reaching NYC. Took this picture of Queens across the river. I thought it was weird cloud coverage before I learned about the smoke.

Don't breatheP1011480 by pongo now, on Flickr

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by escape View Post
    I was on the Manhatten waterfront on the eastside taking pictures the day before they announced the smoke reaching NYC. Took this picture of Queens across the river. I thought it was weird cloud coverage before I learned about the smoke.

Don't breatheP1011480 by pongo now, on Flickr
    Nice shot. Looks spooky.

Hi Sharon:

I see you seem to have moved from Washington to Oregon and quite a bit inland as well, with a very forested area to the west of you. I hope you are not going to suffer a major fire in your immediate area. Stay safe and well

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by Tronhard View Post
    Hi Sharon:

I see you seem to have moved from Washington to Oregon and quite a bit inland as well, with a very forested area to the west of you. I hope you are not going to suffer a major fire in your immediate area. Stay safe and well
    Hi Trev, nice to hear from you. We moved to Ashland, OR just over a year ago. The Rogue Valley.
    Honestly Washington State is suffering it's own climate struggles. Bellingham, WA was hotter than we were today, and there are fires all over the place in BC and even WA. It's just the new reality I believe.

To it's credit, Ashland is very fire risk proactive, a lot of small controlled burns in the forested areas to mitigate risk and preserve forest health. The rest of the area is not quite as progressive, especially Josephine County.
    The Almeda fire last year though, was very close and wiped out Talent and Phoenix, OR

Sharon

Real Name
    Ken

Interesting when you dehaze +100 on Lightroom

Real Name
    Manoj

Everyday smoke increasing on the planet.

Real Name
    David

I'm heading for the mountains of the Massif Central for a few days. I'll let you know if the air is clear - it was the last time I visited a couple of years ago.