Thread: First try at slalom

Real Name
    Ole

First try at slalom

This image was taken on one of our "Covid runs" as we are currently in lockdown here in Melbourne. Victoria as a whole is not in lockdown but we are and I am not happy, so there!

I have been trying to capture these guys for a while. This one was the best of a bad lot and I took about 400 images. My position was good and I did not shoot people in the back of the head.

The way I see it: burst at the right moment and crop in Lightroom later.

First try at slalomFirst try by Ole Hansen, on Flickr

Real Name
    Manoj

Re: First try at slalom

It would be good exercise

Real Name
    Dan

Good capture!

It makes me nostalgic. I did whitewater for years. Finally had to give it up because of a combination of a move to a new location, a back injury, and age. Last year I gritted my teeth and put my whitewater boat and paddle on Craigslist for the price of $0. It was gone in a day. All I have left is an iPhone snapshot.

It is good exercise, but a great deal of whitewater is skill rather than brute strength. For example, the most common way of rolling the boat back up--called "the Eskimo roll" here--doesn't take a great deal of strength, but it requires a set of quite precisely choreographed motions.

Real Name
    Martin

Well done. I think this is a great action shot. It is sharp and plenty of action. Maybe the bow of the boat could be toned down a little. It seems to be blown out, with little detail in that area.
    Where was this taken? It is clearly not the River Yarra!

Real Name
    Dan

Maybe the bow of the boat could be toned down a little. It seems to be blown out, with little detail in that area.
    It does look to be blown out. Photoshop gives luminance values of 99 and 100--RGB values of 254 and 255. I thought that might mean that a little detail was left (not all at 100 and 255), but when I selected the area and burned it, I just got gray.

Real Name
    David

Great action shot. A bit picky to worry about the bow being a tad burned out, it's not the main subject - I dont image you had time to check the histogram before pressing the shutter.