Thread: The Ent's Morning Walk

Real Name
    Scott

The Ent's Morning Walk

My previous house had 50 year old windows; needless to say, they weren't very efficient. However, that inefficiency did occasionally produce some interesting frost patterns. I've recently started going through those old images looking for ones to process and hopefully print. For some reason when I look at this one, it makes me think of the Ents from Lord of the Rings. In this case, it's 4 Ents walking the forest in the morning mist, in my mind's eye anyway. Thanks for looking.

macro-frost-001cic.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Re: The Ent's Morning Walk

Yes I can see them too.

Real Name
    Peter

Well done, frost patterns on glass make good subjects for Macro work. The glazing in my greenhouse when we've had a hard frost creates some wonderful patterns, though I can't remember having any Ents in them! Usually I see fern like fronds in them.
    I did use a tungsten white balance in one of my images as a contrast to the B&W version of the same image.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by ST1 View Post
    ... The glazing in my greenhouse when we've had a hard frost creates some wonderful patterns, though I can't remember having any Ents in them! Usually I see fern like fronds in them.
    I did use a tungsten white balance in one of my images as a contrast to the B&W version of the same image.
    I've got some nice ferns too, all kinds of crazy patterns. A couple I'm working on now will likely be b&w, but looking at the collection, I'm sure some will have toning or color. It toned the Ents since I wanted a little morning sun color.

Your mention of your greenhouse glazing has me wondering if I can make something to put on my patio in the winter just to create frost to photograph.

Real Name
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by pschlute View Post
    Yes I can see them too.
    I'm glad because I didn't want to be the only one.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by ScottO View Post
    I've got some nice ferns too, all kinds of crazy patterns. A couple I'm working on now will likely be b&w, but looking at the collection, I'm sure some will have toning or color. It toned the Ents since I wanted a little morning sun color.
    I'm wondering if split-toning would suit those kind of images?

Real Name
    Scott

I would think so. One could argue if nothing else, they could get toned on the cool side since they're all ice.

Part of the fun of working on these is to see if I can quickly come up with a catchy title. Then my subject becomes a combination of the frost pattern and the story line of the title. From there, I figure some subjects will suggest possible colors for split-toning or some other colorizing method.