Thread: Members bridge and banking at Brooklands

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Members bridge and banking at Brooklands

Real Name
    Daniel

Re: Members bridge and banking at Brooklands

Hi Peter: I like your bridge image because it's different. The ground seems to convey movement sliding to the right. A nice effect aided by the white streaks. Maybe bring out some detail in the trees, perhaps.

Real Name
    Dan

Peter,

Where do you want the viewer to look?

Both of them, but particularly the first, draw my eye to the bottom left corner, which I suspect isn't where you want it to be. Rather than serving as a framing element, the foreground dominates, IMHO.

Dan

Real Name
    Daniel

For me, the image was more about the ground than the bridge. It does dominate as Dan stated.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Peter,

Where do you want the viewer to look?
    There are two elements in the scene, the bridge and the banked race circuit. Of the two, the latter is more important, so your eye is being drawn where I want it.

I was trying to convey a slightly melancholy image of a racetrack that had it's last race run on it 82 years ago. In hindsight I should not have mentioned the bridge in the title perhaps.
    Last edited by pschlute; 19th August 2021 at 03:00 PM.

Real Name
    Daniel

I didn't know it was a racetrack. Now the second image makes more sense to me. For a worldwide audience stating it's a racetrack in the title or description would be helpful for viewers.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Thanks Peter - the image makes more sense now with the explanation of being an abandoned racetrack.

The image still does not work for me all that well, even though I now know what this is. I suspect there is a better way of telling this story and this image would work well as part of a series on the location. The nice thing about photography exhibitions is that there is always an artist's statement as well as descriptions of all of the images.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Taking Manfred's advice I present a few more of the old racetrack, including a section which runs alongside a supermarket where they cut a section of banking for a new road. The last picture is not great photographically but does serve to show how the modern world has grown up around the old.

Members bridge and banking at BrooklandsIMGP4337 by Peter Schluter, on Flickr

Members bridge and banking at BrooklandsIMGP4201 by Peter Schluter, on Flickr

Members bridge and banking at BrooklandsIMGP4187 by Peter Schluter, on Flickr

Members bridge and banking at BrooklandsIMGP4229 by Peter Schluter, on Flickr

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by pschlute View Post
    Taking Manfred's advice I present a few more of the old racetrack, including a section which runs alongside a supermarket where they cut a section of banking for a new road. The last picture is not great photographically but does serve to show how the modern world has grown up around the old.
    Never visited Brooklands when I lived in England, but I "flew" over there today:

Members bridge and banking at Brooklands

Looks like your last shot is where the A318 intersects the track, judging by the Tesco sign ...
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 21st August 2021 at 02:49 PM.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Hi Ted

The last shot is actually looking Eastwards from the A318 at a point directly below the x in Tesco Extra

There are three sections here that have been dissected by roads and are being slowly taken over by nature. Interestingly, the course of the track and runway is still visible from the air.

ps...I must check out "Home Bargains" !

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

The additional images really add to the "story". I like that.

Given all the development in the area, I suspect some developer is going to put some buildings into that large area sooner rather than later.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post

Given all the development in the area, I suspect some developer is going to put some buildings into that large area sooner rather than later.
    Inevitable i think unfortunately.

ps. here is a picture of me taking these images
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pschlute; 22nd August 2021 at 09:40 PM.