Thread: A Cool Guy

Real Name
    Daniel

A Cool Guy

When a stranger gives me permission to take their photo my mind seems to go blank. I'm trying to train myself in slowing down. My intention is to ask strangers for permission regularly and try to work my way through this. Took this today of someone I saw in a downtown park. I was a little bit more mindful but have a way to go. Have cropped only. [IMG]A Cool GuyP1011986 (2) by pongo now, on Flickr[/IMG]

Real Name
    Daniel

Re: A Cool Guy

Crouped adjusted in a photo editor.
    [IMG]A Cool GuyP1011986 (3) by pongo now, on Flickr[/IMG]

Real Name
    Martin Ihrich

As far as the crop is concerned, I really like the first photo Daniel! It helps me envision the subject much better than does the second photo which leaves several questions in my mind regarding space and context.
    Last edited by Martin A; 25th August 2021 at 04:16 AM.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

I too prefer the first. Terrific portrait.

Real Name
    Daniel

Thank you, Martin and Peter. I tried the close-up crop because there is some weird light reflecting on his left arm and shoulder. Probably from sweat, he just finished running. The crop was to eliminate that while bringing the focus to his face. Would like to know more about what's going on with his shoulder and the highlights on his body. I imagine these areas should be addressed?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I prefer the uncropped version, those "hot spots" that you are seeing are the sunlight reflecting off his body and add interest to the image. Ideally, these spots are not burned out.

The cropped version (i.e. the crop) looks awkward. In a closeup like you have, a symmetrical crop often is strongest. Here You have a full arm on the left hand side and an arm that runs down about a third of the arm; this is probably more distracting than having the hot spots on the arm.

The other thing you need to watch for is what is happening in the background. Your camera was not level, so the building in the background and the back of the bench your subject was sitting on does not look level. Moreover, it looks like this is something you did by mistake, so it is distracting as well. This is very easy to fix in post. Another "trick" in street photography is to observe what is happening in the background, not just with your subject.

Real Name
    Daniel

Thank you, Manfred. I'm still learning how to view images. I thought the hot spots were a big issue. I got lucky with an interesting subject. Before I left I asked him what he does. "I'm a model," he replied. A fist bump and I departed.

Real Name
    Sharon

LOVE this image. Another vote for the 1st one, the crop was not needed. Love the little side stories too. Great work awesome "model".

Real Name
    Daniel

Thank you, Sharon. I'm pleased also. It's an improvement which I credit the good folks in this forum for their continued support, critiques, and advice.

Real Name
    Bo or Barbara - I'll answer to both!

Yep, another vote for the un-cropped version.

Whilst taking on board Manfred's comments about the vertical buildings and the asymmetrical crop, to my mind it's a mistake to chop off that lovely torso!
    I understand what you say about your mind going blank though. I now try to have my camera set into pretty much the settings I will need before approaching my subject so I can then concentrate on how I want him/her to look. And I always say why I want to photograph them- "you have such a character in your face/amazing beard /fabulous blue eyes " etc so they don't feel a freak.
    This last point was brought home to me when I was in Vietnam. There everyone especially wanted to photograph me because I am a tall, white, Western female. To them I was a freak, it was quite unsettling at first but then I learned to smile at it and enjoy the experience as well as photograph them back !

Real Name
    Daniel

When it comes to going slow, I'm now wondering, how slow can I go when photographing a stranger. Why not take that permission and see how far you can take it. I have the feeling that people will be a lot more cooperative than we think.

Real Name
    Daniel

Hi Bo. Sometimes if I remember, I will have my camera set up for a quick action shot when walking in the city. You must have felt like a celebrity in Vietnam. Thank you for commenting.

Real Name
    David

Oh how I can relate to that feeling of needing to hurry when photographing a person in the street. So often I'm disappointed by the result because I failed to take my time. Daniel is right I think, once a person has said yes, he/she would probably prefer that you take the time to do a good job. I just need to train myself to remember that.

Nice photo - I too prefer the original.