Thread: More backlit glasswear

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

More backlit glasswear

I tried to take my work with back-lit glassware to another level.

In this shot, I am only using water in the glasses for its optical properties. I lit the whole scene with two gelled studio lights to give me a red / blue colour gradient on the background. I introduced a glass shelf into the arrangement to let me add an additional layer of height.

More backlit glasswear
    Last edited by Manfred M; 6th September 2021 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Updated image

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: More backlit glasswear

Question for the group:

The one thing I'm not entirely sure about is the glass shelf that sticks out to the right. It's physically necessary to support it at two points, so I have it clamped in place out of frame on the camera right side. It is resting on a toothpick (retouched out) that is sitting between it and the short glass in the middle.

Does the image work better with the long shelf or is the shelf that seems to "float" in mid-air, as shown below, more effective?

More backlit glasswear

Real Name
    roy

Second one for me Manfred though I might prefer it and the two glasses left out altogether

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Thanks Roy - that is what I started with and I added the shelf and two glasses for balance, otherwise the bottle overpowers the image and there is too much negative space on the top right.

Real Name
    Peter

The second image for me too Manfred. Love the gradient you've created with the gels

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Real Name
    James

Hi Manfred, second image for me too.
    In the first my eye tends tofollow the shelfout of the image, whereas in the second it centres my vision.It also seems to me that the second image is brighter and softer. I suspect because I am not being drawn to the darker edge of the shelf.
    I particularly like the quartered symetry you created in the second glass from the left.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Second for me too. Can you not rest the shelf on two glasses or use 4 glass columns to support it ?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by ST1 View Post
    The second image for me too Manfred. Love the gradient you've created with the gels

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks Peter - that was what I was trying to do. In the past I had used a single light source for this type of image and now that I have a better diffuser (a sheet of acrylic instead of a scrim), I get better mixing and diffusion of the light.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Hi Manfred, second image for me too.
    In the first my eye tends tofollow the shelfout of the image, whereas in the second it centres my vision.It also seems to me that the second image is brighter and softer. I suspect because I am not being drawn to the darker edge of the shelf.
    I particularly like the quartered symetry you created in the second glass from the left.
    Thanks James - the base images are identical and the only change is the reworked shelf, so that just goes to show how easy it is to fool our visual system.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Thanks James - the base images are identical and the only change is the reworked shelf, so that just goes to show how easy it is to fool our visual system.
    I'm going to try a few more ideas. The issue I run into when I rest the shelf right on the glass is that creates an optical surface where the two pieces of glass touch. I don't have a copy anymore, but there was a white line at the interface, which was both unattractive and distracting. By placing a toothpick between the two glass surfaces, I had a minor bit of retouching to do, but a much better looking image.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Question for the group: <>

Does the image work better with the long shelf or is the shelf that seems to "float" in mid-air, as shown below, more effective?
    Manfred,

I don't find it more effective because my eyes insist on seeing the shelf as a distracting element.

Although I realize that the purity of a single shot is highly attractive, my inclination would be to take two shots then align and merge them so that the "added" glasses do themselves float in the air ...

... or, with your undoubted PP expertise, "just" make the shelf disappear.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post

"What witchcraft is this

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    Manfred,

I don't find it more effective because my eyes insist on seeing the shelf as a distracting element.

Although I realize that the purity of a single shot is highly attractive, my inclination would be to take two shots then align and merge them so that the "added" glasses do themselves float in the air ...

Virtually impossible to make that look right. There are all kinds of subtle gradients from the interplay of the glass and water surfaces. Even trying to remove a few blemishes on the bottle were a lot of work.