les norman

Coventry Cathedral

Coventry Cathedral

Coventry Cathedral

Coventry Cathedral

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Coventry Cathedral

Len - tough lighting conditions you were working with Len.

Does your post-processing software contain a "Shadows" adjustment? If so, you might want to consider trying it (Lightroom, Capture One, etc, all have it). It can be used to brighten up the areas in shadow, like the interior walls in your shots. Opening them up makes the image a lot easier to look at. I've done that to one of your images.

Coventry Cathedral

Another thing you might want to consider is taking your time framing the shot to exclude things that really shouldn't be there; that cone in the bottom right corner is easier to eliminate when you are composing than later in post.

Real Name
    Dan

Len,

I think you posted that you use Lightroom. The shadows slider in the Basic panel of lightroom does what Manfred describes. Just slide it to the right. This is part of what I was referring to when I made the unsolicited suggestion in another thread that you try to master the tonality controls in your software.

The histogram is "live" in Lightroom, so you can watch what it does as you move the slider. The histogram represents the range from black (left) to white (right). The height at any point, right to left, represents how many of the pixels in the entire image are at that particular brightness. As you move the shadows to the right, you'll see that the bottom of the histogram is shifting to the right. This shows that the darkest pixels are being made brighter.

Dan

Real Name
    les norman

Many thanks Manfred and Dan very informative