Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bronx or Nothing

Real Name
    Daniel

Bronx or Nothing

Comment welcomed.
    Bronx or Nothing
    Last edited by escape; 16th September 2021 at 08:26 PM.

Real Name
    Ole

Re: Bronx or Nothing

I like the imaged and I like the title. How about b&w because I do think it would have more of an impact.
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I understand why you cropped the shot the way you did, but I find that there is too much graffiti and not enough portrait. Do you really need all the material to successfully tell his story?

Real Name
    Daniel

Hi Ole,
    It's difficult to read at the posted image resolution, but his hat says Bronx or Nothing. I took a look at a B/W version and I prefer the color. Thanks for commenting,

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    I understand why you cropped the shot the way you did, but I find that there is too much graffiti and not enough portrait. Do you really need all the material to successfully tell his story?
    Hello Manfred. Interesting question. It depends on whose story is being told, the subject, or the photographers.

Yesterday I went on a 3-hour walk through the Bronx. Going through an underpass, I came across this scene. It looked like a stage with props but without a subject. I waited and asked the first person to pass to sit in the chair for a photo. His name is Jose, and he lives in a nearby building. He was a good model and followed directions. That's the uncropped story.
    Eventually, I will crop out half the image. For now, I am enjoying the experience the image represents to me. My only regret is that I didn't stay longer and photograph others people sitting in the chair.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by escape View Post
    Hello Manfred. Interesting question. It depends on whose story is being told, the subject, or the photographers.

Yesterday I went on a 3-hour walk through the Bronx. Going through an underpass, I came across this scene. It looked like a stage with props but without a subject. I waited and asked the first person to pass to sit in the chair for a photo. His name is Jose, and he lives in a nearby building. He was a good model and followed directions. That's the uncropped story.
    Eventually, I will crop out half the image. For now, I am enjoying the experience the image represents to me. My only regret is that I didn't stay longer and photograph others people sitting in the chair.
    The way you have presented this image, it looks like it is about the graffiti and not about the man in the chair. There is nothing wrong with that approach, but it does impact the perception of the viewer when they look at this image.

Real Name
    Dan

Re framing: I can see the value in both approaches. However, the bright lavender object (a vest?) at the bottom right is a real distraction, IMHO. It draws the eye away from both the man and the graffiti. A middle ground would be to crop just enough off the right to get rid of that object. That would also move the person's head closer to the 1/3 line, which I think works a little better, while retaining much of the graffiti.

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    The way you have presented this image, it looks like it is about the graffiti and not about the man in the chair. There is nothing wrong with that approach, but it does impact the perception of the viewer when they look at this image.
    I agree with you, Manfred, regarding the shot. It would have been better to focus my shot on the subject from the start. It was the background that first caught my attention and I included it. Fortunately, there is room to crop out the subject while maintaining the ambiance.

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Re framing: I can see the value in both approaches. However, the bright lavender object (a vest?) at the bottom right is a real distraction, IMHO. It draws the eye away from both the man and the graffiti. A middle ground would be to crop just enough off the right to get rid of that object. That would also move the person's head closer to the 1/3 line, which I think works a little better, while retaining much of the graffiti.
    Hii Dan. I was a bit surprised that you found the vest distracting.
    I can now see how that could be a distraction. Will try different crops to see what works best including cropping out the table and vest. Thank you for your input.

Real Name
    Dan

Daniel,

You could also try making the vest stand out less without cropping. For example, you could select it and then desaturate it so that the bright color doesn't draw the eye.

Dan

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Daniel,

You could also try making the vest stand out less without cropping. For example, you could select it and then desaturate it so that the bright color doesn't draw the eye.

Dan
    I'm letting this shot sit for a while. I Will get back to it and explore different crops and your suggestions. I suspect there will be three versions. A more subject-centered crop as Manfred has suggested and two other limited crops. Won't know until I get there.

Real Name
    Ted

Hii Dan. I was a bit surprised that you found the vest distracting.
    I can now see how that could be a distraction. Will try different crops to see what works best including cropping out the table and vest. Thank you for your input.
    As I view the scene, what makes it interesting to me are the signs of occupation, namely the chair, mattress, signboard, table and items like the infamous vest. In other words, signs of a person who has created an environment with what little he can find and perhaps even makes a living therefrom. In fact, the obliging passer-by was not necessary in that regard, IMHO.

I hate graffiti - which I regard as mindless vandalism as opposed to liberal "works of art", grump.
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 17th September 2021 at 05:35 PM.

I think I would make a slight crop from the top and right side but I fear that going too far would mean you lose more than you gain.

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    As I view the scene, what makes it interesting to me are the signs of occupation, namely the chair, mattress, signboard, table and items like the infamous vest. In other words, signs of a person who has created an environment with what little he can find and perhaps even makes a living therefrom. In fact, the obliging passer-by was not necessary in that regard, IMHO.

I hate graffiti - which I regard as mindless vandalism as opposed to liberal "works of art", grump.
    I don't think anyone is living there from what I can see. What caught my eye was how clean the area was. Maybe someone is using it. When you find places homeless live, there is always trash everywhere..This week I was exploring behind an old Bronx church and cemetery. Two unknown soldiers from the war of independence were buried there. Behind a crypt in the back were the signs of a homeless person living. It looked like it had been vacated for some time but the amount of trash showed it was used for some time.

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    I think I would make a slight crop from the top and right side but I fear that going too far would mean you lose more than you gain.
    Thank you Geoff for sharing your viewpoint. Much appreciated.

Real Name
    Sharon

Great image and story. Well done Daniel.
    My .01 cents is if you crop too much you lose: the colored graffiti which I like; The rest of the story, with the "living arrangements" whomever they may belong.
    I like the image as it is.

Real Name
    Daniel

Thank you, Sharon. I'm pleased that you like it as it is. There has been a range of viewpoints. Ultimately my crops will be based on my needs for displaying on the web. For example a tight Portrait crop of the subject for a full-screen vertical display on a phone.

Real Name
    Ole

Hi Ole,
    It's difficult to read at the posted image resolution, but his hat says Bronx or Nothing. I took a look at a B/W version and I prefer the color. Thanks for commenting,
    I misunderstood the title, Daniel. To me, the image itself is 'the Bronx.'with the graffiti and all, not the hat.

Real Name
    Greg

I think this composition is pretty good just as it is. The way you have posed the guy staring blankly into space suggests the hopelessness of his situation. Surrounded by few possessions, and the decorated wall behind behind him offers a parallel with normal households.

I am not bothered by the small pink towel. It complements the large blue lettering on the wall and is balanced by the guy's fluorescent shoes on the left. These three points form a triangle which represents the solidity and security of homelife. Overall, this image is pretty good social commentary.

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by mugge View Post
    I misunderstood the title, Daniel. To me, the image itself is 'the Bronx.'with the graffiti and all, not the hat.
    The photo was taken in the Bronx in an economically poor neighborhood. I would never say "this is the Bronx" because the Bronx is big and has all kinds of neighborhoods. When I was thinking of a name for the image I noticed his hat and found my title.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast