Thread: Help With Healing Brush PS CS6

Real Name
    Russell

Help With Healing Brush PS CS6

Hi, I use L/R 6 along side P/S CS6 to remove objects but for some reason without any changes to the programs when I send back from P/S CS6 to L/R 6 the changes although showing in P/S CS6 do not apply when viewing back in L/R 6.

Any ides what is going on?
    Thankyou,
    Russ.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Re: Help With Healing Brush PS CS6

How are you "sending it back" ?

My experience is with the modern versions of both programs, and in PS you need to save your edits. If you save with the same file name, when looking at the image in LR it will have a flag saying the file has been edited and do you want to display the change.

Real Name
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by pschlute View Post
    How are you "sending it back" ?

My experience is with the modern versions of both programs, and in PS you need to save your edits. If you save with the same file name, when looking at the image in LR it will have a flag saying the file has been edited and do you want to display the change.
    Hi, use the SAVE option but as I say for some reason it is not saving the changes made in PS although it does send the image back to L/R. Thanks, Russ.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Russell - you are using an ancient version of both programs (released almost 9-1/2 years ago), so to be quite frank, I really can't remember any of the details of either Lightroom or Photoshop from that era.

Jumping back and forth between the two pieces of software has always been considered very poor workflow because the algorithms in the two pieces of software, even when they have similar names, are not identical and one could get into trouble going back and forth.

The recommended workflow was always been one-way; once you leave Lightroom, all further edits should be done in Photoshop until the image is finalized and then it was okay to go back and use the other Lightroom functionality; printing, posting to the web etc. Some time ago, Adobe realized many people do this, so they added a camera raw filter to Photoshop so that people would not need to go back and forth (a.k.a. Round-Tripping). I'm fairly sure this functionality does not exist in CS6

The Camera Raw filter only affects the layer the user is working on so damage is minimized. If used in conjunction with SmartObjects, the the filter becomes 100% reversible.

Real Name
    Dan

Given the age of the software, there's no telling, but after you save in photoshop, I would look at that directory with a file manager to see whether the file created by Photoshop is there. It would be a .psd or .tif file. If it isn't, there is something wrong with your Photoshop (or your use of it) that has nothing to do with Lightroom. If the file is there, then go to that directory in Lightroom and tell lightroom to sync that directory. That should import the new file.

If you then tell Lightroom you want to edit in Photoshop and tell it that you want to edit the original, it should open in Photoshop with your layers intact.

I agree with Manfred that going back and forth is risky, but you aren't describing going back and forth, and the problem you describe is one that arises simply going back to LR once from Photoshop. For example, suppose you are going back to LR only to use the print module. If you can't find the file with the Photoshop edits, you can't print it.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

I personally dislike the LR "virtual save " model. To me it always makes sense to save an edit either with a new filename or overwrite the existing file.

Real Name
    Dan

I personally dislike the LR "virtual save " model. To me it always makes sense to save an edit either with a new filename or overwrite the existing file.
    This probably should go into a different thread, as it really has nothing to do with the OP, which is about a failure for Photoshop edits to appear in Lightroom.

However, since you raise it: consider a Photoshop image saved with layers intact. This is saved as a single file, but in fact, it's a bunch of separate pieces that can only be combined into an image by software capable of reading the layers. (which, of course, LR cannot do). What you are calling a "virtual save" is not much different. In that case, there are two pieces--the original raw file, and the xml code with edits. (This assumes that you are using a raw format other than DNG and have set LR to save edits as sidecar files.) In this case as well, you can only get the image by combining those two pieces. The only difference is that they are stored in the meantime as separate files.

With DNG files, if I'm not mistaken, the xml code is written into the DNG as well, so you don't even need to combine two files.

But all of that aside: I think the "virtual save" with non-DNG raw files is great. It saves space and clutter, and it leaves all of the edits reversable, which isn't the case if you export a TIF as an intermediate file.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

My LR can read and display a layered Photoshop edited file perfectly well.

Real Name
    Dan

My LR can read and display a layered Photoshop edited file perfectly well.
    I believe that’s called “maximum compatibility mode” or some such. I’m not at my computer, so I can’t check the term. When Photoshop is set this way, it creates a flattened image and stores it in the same file so that LR can read it. I believe it’s the default mode.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Russell

Hi, Thank You for ALL the replies.
    I have re-installed On1 2021 to try the same options and unfortunately get the same results when EDIT IN On1 from Lightroom, object in On1 removed, click done, auto return to Lightroom no difference, no changes showing.
    Guess my Lightroom is to old (Like Me) to keep up so going to have to delve into On1 and learn it.
    Only reason I keep Lightroom really is for managing my images and a tweak here and there.
    Thanks again, Russ.

Real Name
    Dan

Did you try resyncing the directory in Lightroom, as I suggested?

I think what's going on is that LR doesn't know the edited file exists. This is not uncommon with some external editors.

This is what I would do:

1. use "save as" to save the edited file under a different name, to make it easier to see what is happening. A Photoshop standard is simply to add "edit" at the end of the file name.

2. Confirm with a file browser that the "edit" file is present in the directory you want.

3. Go to that directory in the library module in Lightroom, right click, and tell it to synchronize the directory.

The last step should import the edited file. YOu should then see it in the LR filmstrip, although depending on other settings, it may be stacked with the original, so it may be hidden under it.

Last edited by DanK; 20th September 2021 at 12:19 PM.

Real Name
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Did you try resyncing the directory in Lightroom, as I suggested?

I think what's going on is that LR doesn't know the edited file exists. This is not uncommon with some external editors.

This is what I would do:

1. use "save as" to save the edited file under a different name, to make it easier to see what is happening. A Photoshop standard is simply to add "edit" at the end of the file name.

2. Confirm with a file browser that the "edit" file is present in the directory you want.

3. Go to that directory in the library module in Lightroom, right click, and tell it to synchronize the directory.

The last step should import the edited file. YOu should then see it in the LR filmstrip, although depending on other settings, it may be stacked with the original, so it may be hidden under it.

Hi, Thanks for trying but this is way above my understanding of computers and there file placement/directories.
    As I have On1 I will persevere with that and see how I get on. Russ.

Real Name
    Dan

Russell,

In general, LR has no way to know that there are new photos there unless you sync the directory. In some cases, at least with newer software, it will recognize those saved from Photoshop if they are saved in certain ways. That clearly isn't happening in your case. So unless you sync the folder again, LR won't find the edited images.

If you want to simplify this, skip the intervening steps and just sync the folder.

Dan