Thread: two unrelated photos

Real Name
    Dan

two unrelated photos

Went out yesterday with both my drone and my real camera to see what the approach of fall has brought. I had to bring down the drone quickly because of heavy winds, so I only got a few images that way. When I found a little marsh that was interesting, my vantage point was limited by a heavy infestation of poison ivy. But here's what I got. C&C welcome.

A small marsh with the first signs of fall:

two unrelated photos

Another try at an aerial view of a farm:

two unrelated photos
    Last edited by DanK; 26th September 2021 at 01:51 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: two unrelated photos

The drone shot is effective with all of the lines and a limited colour palette, while the landscape is less so. I find that the landscape does not have anything that engages me visually and with the heavy presence of the reflected sky, the balance is not quite working for me. I often do not include the sky in my landscapes, but here the way the tops of the trees are cropped seems a bit strange visually.

With the first image I wonder about removing that bush in the bottom left corner? Cropping it out would mean a different image size but I think that might work.

Real Name
    Dan

Geoff,

Good point. I've been dithering about that. If it hadn't been for the poison ivy, I would have positioned myself farther to the right to avoid the bush. I'm of two minds because cropping the bush removes some interesting parts of the reflection.

Maybe the answer is the old realtor's adage: "it's all location, location, location." Poison ivy notwithstanding, perhaps I needed to be farther to the right.

Dan

Real Name
    Ole

I do not think you can do much to salvage the first image, Dan. The second image I do like. Maybe clone out the dark patch of earth top left corner. That is just a suggestion.
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    Dan

Ole,

thanks. I agree that it's probably worth cloning out that spot, even though it's small. I did that. The photo above has the change made, as I deleted the old one from a working gallery on my Smugmug site.

This is the first drone photo that I've been willing to place on the public pages of my Smugmug site.

Dan
    Last edited by DanK; 26th September 2021 at 01:52 PM.