Thread: Back from Alberta Canada

Real Name
    Brian

Back from Alberta Canada

I just got back from a 1900 mile round trip goose/duck hunt in Alberta, Canada. It was my first time in this province and I must say that the scenery was spectacular. Not only did we harvest a few ducks/geese, I managed to harvest a few shots of the landscapes. This was the morning we had just crossed into Alberta. I must say this is a heck of a way to enter Canada. The mountains slowly gave way to the relatively flat and slow rolling hills of the prairie lands.

Back from Alberta Canada

And, what would a trip into the wild be without a close encounter with a bull moose.
    Back from Alberta Canada

There were plenty of these whitetails there running around too.
    Back from Alberta Canada

The aspens were in their full glory of autumn.
    Back from Alberta Canada

And, as if on que, on the last day in Canada, we were waiting on our steaks to finish on the grill and were left with one last and final sunset. Beers, steaks and a successful end to an amazing week.
    Back from Alberta Canada

Real Name
    Bill

Re: Back from Alberta Canada

An enoyable, varied, set Brian.

Real Name
    Dan

Nice set.

It truly is one of the most beautiful places in North America, or at least, one of the most beautiful I've seen. Back in the day, I took the Canadian National across Canada a number of times. Traveling west was quite something. The plains and then the high plains go on seemingly forever, but all of a sudden--about two days after leaving Toronto, if I recall--a wall of rock would appear in front of the train, and once one is into the Rockies, the scenery is spectacular.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Nice set.
    Plus one!

It truly is one of the most beautiful places in North America <> -- once one is into the Rockies, the scenery is spectacular.
    Long ago, I spent a happy couple of months in Crowsnest pass commissioning some gas turbine NG compressor sets for Alberta Natural Gas co. Tempted to dig out some snaps one day ...

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Nice set of images Brian - we used to get out to Alberta quite regularly when my brother-in-law lived in Edmonton. He and his wife moved back to Ontario about 12 years ago, so that dropped off. I would be out there a few times a year on business, until I retired, but that did not permit a lot of sight-seeing.

We are planning to head out west again as COVID-19 comes under control. Unfortunately, the places we want to visit are all now some of Canada's biggest hot spots for the illness. Perhaps next year....

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Nice set of images Brian - we used to get out to Alberta quite regularly when my brother-in-law lived in Edmonton. He and his wife moved back to Ontario about 12 years ago, so that dropped off. I would be out there a few times a year on business, until I retired, but that did not permit a lot of sight-seeing.

We are planning to head out west again as COVID-19 comes under control. Unfortunately, the places we want to visit are all now some of Canada's biggest hot spots for the illness. Perhaps next year....

I'm already planning another trip next year. Not just for the scenery, the waterfowl hunting there is top notch. And, it is way earlier than our season starter here in Oregon. I've seen parts of BC, Northeastern Quebec and now Alberta. Each have their own beauty, BUT, you can't beat the western part of both US and Canada. Absolutely beautiful and the place I want to be. I don't tolerate cities or crowds well. Give me the countryside and I'm in heaven. I had intentions of getting some drone shots but the wind was howling most every day. Maybe next time.

Real Name
    Len

Hi Brian, great to read you enjoyed your visit to Alberta. On your next visit if time allows drive the scenic Ice Fields Parkway from Banff to Jasper - 190 miles one way. Late September/early October for the best fall scenery in the Rockies.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by LenR View Post
    Hi Brian, great to read you enjoyed your visit to Alberta. On your next visit if time allows drive the scenic Ice Fields Parkway from Banff to Jasper - 190 miles one way. Late September/early October for the best fall scenery in the Rockies.

Would love to do that. However, my next trip this time of year will still be for waterfowl hunting. We spent 10 days this time and every minute was spent either scouting, hunting or resting. I will be retiring soon and will have time to do that on another actual leisure trip. The scenery in the western half of North America is hard to beat and I will make a point to see as much of it as I can.

Real Name
    Bruce

A great set of photos. And congratulations on seeing a moose!

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Cantab View Post
    A great set of photos. And congratulations on seeing a moose!
    During our stay there, we probably saw almost a dozen that were feeding in the open farm fields. The one pictured was the closest encounter. I am amazed at the size of those things. And jumping a 5ft fence was just a small skip for that one. Seeing wildlife that I don't normally get to see and just being in the same environment to even have the chance is what recharges my batteries. To me, my hunting trips are never all about hunting. It's about the big picture. Pardon the pun there.