Thread: Styles for Capture One

Real Name
    E. James

Styles for Capture One

I am "playing around" with styles for Capture One (2021). I have some free for download at

https://www.digitalphoto1to1.com/styles.html

You will have to click to download and install as per Capture One instructions. Style files are *.costyle files.

I would like some feedback...
    Last edited by Abitconfused; 8th November 2021 at 04:37 AM.

Real Name
    Bill

Re: Styles for Capture One

Thanks for posting this. I had a quick look but prefer the inbuilt ones that leave as much as possible to the user to implement rather than a full-on click and add (sort of in the same vein, I don't like "add sky" packages).

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Styles are great for certain types of photograph; sports and event work comes to mind. Here they let you get a common "look & feel" for say a wedding shoot. I tend to not work that way and even in a body of work, I prefer hand-tuning my images (colour grading at the end, for instance) versus the use of styles.

Real Name
    E. James

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Styles are great for certain types of photograph; sports and event work comes to mind. Here they let you get a common "look & feel" for say a wedding shoot. I tend to not work that way and even in a body of work, I prefer hand-tuning my images (colour grading at the end, for instance) versus the use of styles.
    I see styles as a "thought experiment" or a starting place rather than a finished product. Some styles I have seen offered for sale make such subtle changes in an image that their utility seems rather questionable.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Abitconfused View Post
    I see styles as a "thought experiment" or a starting place rather than a finished product. Some styles I have seen offered for sale make such subtle changes in an image that their utility seems rather questionable.
    That is not really the intent of styles in the context of the "expert" user. I know some expert photographers who integrate styles into their tethered capture workflow to give them a better feeling for what their finished image should look like.

I will play with that, but prefer my own, rather than pre-canned styles.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    That is not really the intent of styles in the context of the "expert" user.
    In the context of Capture One and so I can keep up with the discussion, may I ask what comprises a "style"?

Is it different to say an XMP file, perhaps by virtue of being re-usable?

Real Name
    E. James

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    In the context of Capture One and so I can keep up with the discussion, may I ask what comprises a "style"?

Is it different to say an XMP file, perhaps by virtue of being re-usable?
    A style is a .costyle file that contains adjustments that are easily accessible within Capture One's tool set. So, for example, I could adjust white point, black point, and contrast using the Curves tool and save this work as a style i.e. Adjustments > Style > Save Custom Style. Such a style may be useful in editing other images taken in the same lighting or...not. It may be useful to others who have never summoned the courage to adjust Curves. Or it may inspire the timid to, in fact, bend that Curves tool like a pretzel once given an example. So styles may be many things depending upon your goals.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Abitconfused View Post
    A style is a .costyle file that contains adjustments that are easily accessible within Capture One's tool set. So, for example, I could adjust white point, black point, and contrast using the Curves tool and save this work as a style i.e. Adjustments > Style > Save Custom Style. Such a style may be useful in editing other images taken in the same lighting or...not. It may be useful to others who have never summoned the courage to adjust Curves. Or it may inspire the timid to, in fact, bend that Curves tool like a pretzel once given an example. So styles may be many things depending upon your goals.
    Thanks, Ed.

Not too different to the 'Profile' .pp3 file found in my editor (RawTherapee) which can equally be saved at any point in the proceedings to date and recalled at any time for a different image.

I get the impression though that several styles can be applied to a C1 image while it is open?

No such option in RawTherapee ...

Real Name
    E. James

Yes, a style can be assigned to a second layer. Of course, at some point, it becomes irrational. However, let's say there are some settings you frequently use, then styles may save some time. But it's something like a pool table where pixels are the balls. How often will we hold the que the same way really?

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post

I get the impression though that several styles can be applied to a C1 image while it is open?

Yes, that's correct Ted. When you click on a style (custom or "canned") a new layer opens, identified with the style name, and you can brush in the style parameters to the the degree that you like.