Real Name
    Daniel

Fire Dog

Comments welcomed.
    Fire Dog G]

Real Name
    Ole

Re: Fire Dog

I like the idea but I think the colours are too vivid and I'd also tone down the white of the dog a tad.
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    Ted

A nice moment in time!

A pity the dog had one foot raised - thereby looking less like he was "standing guard".

With detail on the vehicle so sharp versus the dog, I would be inclined to select the dog, sharpen it up, then invert the selection and blur his surroundings slightly. Also I agree with Ole.
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 25th November 2021 at 01:53 PM.

If that was shot at a fire engine station I assume everything would be well polished. In which case, the colours look fine to me.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

I actually like the red and yellow colours, and think they could make a nice background for the b+w lovely hound.

I think the problem with the picture though is the background is a bit "busy" and disjointed, and that detracts from the dog.

I guess you were limited in how you could frame this, and like many shots we take, you have to work with what you have.

Real Name
    Daniel

It took me a while to get back to this thread. I've been trying to blur the background as Ted sujested. I don't know how to invert. I'm OK selecting the dog and adjusting it but haven't figured out how to invert the selection to adjust the background. It's very challenging.

Peter, I was limited in taking these shots. I was walking with a group of people when I passed the scene. Several pedestrians were in the way. The group I was with kept walking and waited on the corner. I wanted to get a good picture of what I thought was a classic scene. But it's like you say, you have to work with what you have.

Thank you, Ole and Jeoff for your input.

Real Name
    Daniel

The Los World
    Fire Dog

Real Name
    Daniel

I couldn't sleep, so I made a tee shirt. I hope it fits.

Fire Dog
    Fire Dog

I prefer that sitting dog but wonder about cropping to a different size ratio and losing a bit from the left side? You don't want to lose anything from the height.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by escape View Post
    It took me a while to get back to this thread. I've been trying to blur the background as Ted sujested. I don't know how to invert. I'm OK selecting the dog and adjusting it but haven't figured out how to invert the selection to adjust the background. It's very challenging.
    Sounds like your editor can't just "invert" a selection by clicking on an option somewhere.

If you're rich and don't mind Adobe, then Photoshop can probably do that. Or I read that Lightroom now has masking - i.e. make a mask that excludes the dog and blur away.

If, like me, you're poor - or hate Adobe anyways, the free GIMP is the app for you with it's kajillion ways to select stuff and comes with masking anyhoo. The GIMP has a steep learning curve but well worth it for a pedant like me ...

Exaggerated masking example:

Fire Dog
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 5th December 2021 at 07:44 PM.

Real Name
    Daniel

Hello Ted. Hoping all is well with you on your Texas ranch. I'm not poor, just frugal, especially with myself but I did sign up with Adobe when I started a few years ago. It's very challenging for me to learn. A bad case of slow to remember and quick to forget. Still working on the basics. But if I'm told the steps to take I can often follow them. I stumble my way through processing. On occasion with pleasing results. Your exaggerated rendition is awful but works for demonstration purposes. Thank you for taking the time. Daniel

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    Sounds like your editor can't just "invert" a selection by clicking on an option somewhere.

If you're rich and don't mind Adobe, then Photoshop can probably do that. Or I read that Lightroom now has masking - i.e. make a mask that excludes the dog and blur away.

If, like me, you're poor - or hate Adobe anyways, the free GIMP is the app for you with it's kajillion ways to select stuff and comes with masking anyhoo. The GIMP has a steep learning curve but well worth it for a pedant like me ...

Exaggerated masking example:
    That has unfortunately put 'fuzzy' edges all around the dog making it look totally unrealistic within the scene

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    That has unfortunately put 'fuzzy' edges all around the dog making it look totally unrealistic within the scene
    Yes, it was a quick exaggerated example:

a) I made the mask with the GINP's 'threshold' function.

b) I failed to correct my selection feathering from 12px to zero.

Fortunately, neither of which invalidates the principle of my example.

Real Name
    Grahame

Yes, it was a quick exaggerated example:

a) I made the mask with the GINP's 'threshold' function.

b) I failed to correct my selection feathering from 12px to zero.

Fortunately, neither of which invalidates the principle of my example.
    But your example, whether exaggerated or not, is not the principle or procedure of blurring the background. For a good result, the selection of the subject should be made, the subject removed from the frame, the vacant space 'filled' with similar to the surrounding and then blurred. The subject is then placed back on the blurred frame.

In addition if wanted, the degree of blurring can be adjusted to match the plane of the subject.

Real Name
    Ted

Your exaggerated rendition is awful but works for demonstration purposes. Thank you for taking the time. Daniel
    Well, Daniel, apparently my rendition should not work.

See post #14 for how to do it properly ...

Real Name
    Ted

But your example, whether exaggerated or not, is not the principle or procedure of blurring the background. For a good result, the selection of the subject should be made, the subject removed from the frame, the vacant space 'filled' with similar to the surrounding and then blurred. The subject is then placed back on the blurred frame.

In addition if wanted, the degree of blurring can be adjusted to match the plane of the subject.
    I fold ...

Real Name
    Daniel

Well, Daniel, apparently my rendition should not work.

See post #14 for how to do it properly ...
    Not a big deal. Actually, I would need a more detailed explanation of how to do it. I just keep hammering away and eventually I make a breakthrough.

Real Name
    Grahame

Actually, I would need a more detailed explanation of how to do it. I just keep hammering away and eventually I make a breakthrough.
    Daniel, I will put together the procedures and post them here using PS for blurring a background this evening time permitting.

In the meantime here is a quick example of why the simple selection and blur does not produce decent results, however good you think your selections are.

Orig image, imagine black area is fire station, white area is dog. Selections are 'perfect' of course.

Fire Dog

The black area (fire station) has now been brightened or more correctly colour modified around the subject and you can see the resulting fuzzy halo around what would have been the dog. Explanation is on the image.

Fire Dog

Edited to improve wording.
    Last edited by Stagecoach; 7th December 2021 at 02:45 AM.

Real Name
    Daniel

Thank you, Grahame, for your time and effort. The generosity of the members of CiC is what makes this forum so unique—much appreciated. I have a multitude of projects vying for my attention at this time. Thursday, I will be traveling outside my country for a week and will be effectively offline for that period. I will spend some time on this over the next few days and return to it when I get back.

Real Name
    Ted

Daniel, I will put together the procedures and post them here using PS for blurring a background this evening time permitting.

In the meantime here is a quick example of why the simple selection and blur does not produce decent results, however good you think your selections are.

Orig image, imagine black area is fire station, white area is dog. Selections are 'perfect' of course.

Fire Dog

The black area (fire station) has now been blurred and you can see the resulting fuzzy halo around what would have been the dog. Explanation is on the image.

Fire Dog
    I'm baack ...

Your first image with the white rectangle selected, then selection inverted, then filled with sharp squares, then Gaussian blurred 1.5 px.

Fire Dog

I'm failing to see deleterious effects around the "subject", Grahame.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast