Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fire Dog

Real Name
    Daniel

Re: Fire Dog

Maybe someone can recommend a youtube video. Haven't been able to find one.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by escape View Post
    I googled "how to blur a background" including the quotes and got a good few hits.

Here's one for PS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_Qk8QsLbAs

One for LR:

https://shootdotedit.com/blogs/news/...d-in-lightroom

I don't use either one BTW.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    I'm baack ...

Your first image with the white rectangle selected, then selection inverted, then filled with sharp squares, then Gaussian blurred 1.5 px.

Fire Dog

I'm failing to see deleterious effects around the "subject", Grahame.
    But all you have done is converted the 'background' (black area) to a pile of mush and given it a miniscule 1.5px blur. The result is not surprising is it?

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    But all you have done is converted the 'background' (black area) to a pile of mush and given it a miniscule 1.5px blur. The result is not surprising is it?
    I'm trying to understand why you are using derogatory terms like "pile of mush" and "miniscule".

Perhaps a split view will help you understand what I did starting with sharp squares (a GIMP pattern) to be a little closer to a sharp fire engine than a pure black area.

Fire Dog

Since you are implying that a "miniscule" 1.5px is insufficient, would you be kind enough to suggest an adequate amount?
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 6th December 2021 at 08:13 PM.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    Since you are implying that a "miniscule" 1.5px is insufficient, would you be kind enough to suggest an adequate amount?
    I'm sure you are quite capable of undertaking your own investigation of what results 'your' software gives you at different values. Whatever, I use PS as does Daniel, and what I have referred to is specific to that and well documented.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by escape View Post
    The Youtube video Ted has provided the link to for PS is the procedure I use. I recommend that you follow this carefully for the first 4.5 minutes where he explains how to undertake the selection, selection modifications, autofill, mask and then applying a blur to the layer. This clearly shows the steps needed.

The layer that the 'blur' is applied to does not necessarily have to be converted to a 'smart object' as he does and can have any type of blur applied to it.

I undertook this very procedure with your dog/fire engine. The auto selection by PS of the dog is very good and only two small areas need addressing.

Here is a screenshot of the layers and masks.

Fire Dog

Note the mask on the 'Gausian blur' layer was produced manually, I simply painted out with black where I did not want the blur, feathering it to try and make it look authentic for the scene. Ignore my colour glitch.

Here is the finished image, note the dogs tail against the blurred fire engine and nothing had to be done with respect to the PS auto selection.

Fire Dog

Here's an example showing the full background severely blurred

Fire Dog
    Last edited by Stagecoach; 6th December 2021 at 11:16 PM.

Real Name
    Daniel

Wow, this has been very helpful. The blurred background really kicks it up. Thank you, Ted and Grahme, for your help. I will look at this over the next couple of weeks and hopefully post my version of the blurred background. Much appreciated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12