Thread: XnView MP Windows Event

Real Name
    Ted

XnView MP Windows Event

Today I was using the Tools>Search function and it wouldn't find anything, no matter what search terms I entered. I downloaded the latest version - Still no good, grump.

I restarted Windows - problem solved, yeah!

Windows 7 Pro on a Dell Core i5.

Posted FYI - no need to tell me that support for 7 has ended nor to tell me to upgrade Windows ... only when they pry 7 from my cold, dead fingers ...
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 15th December 2021 at 04:46 PM.

Real Name
    Dan

Re: XnView MP Windows Event

I certainly woudn't tell you to change OS, but I am (idly) curious why you hang on to Windows 7. Windows 8 was awful, and there was a lot to be gained by not updating to it. My university skipped it entirely. However, Windows 10 can be used very much like Windows 7, has additional features, and (for the moment) doesn't lack support or have the compatibility problems associated with an unsupported OS. What's the benefit--other than the one-time financial and time costs of upgrading--of not updating now?

Of course, this is time-limited, given that Windows 11 is out. I have no intention of changing to Windows 11 yet; I'll wait for complaints to have their effects and wil not do anything until the university I used to work for changes. But at that point, I'll switch to 11 for new computers and may update the old ones. If I were in your shoes, I would probably wait 6 months and then update.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    I certainly woudn't tell you to change OS, but I am (idly) curious why you hang on to Windows 7. Windows 8 was awful, and there was a lot to be gained by not updating to it. My university skipped it entirely. However, Windows 10 can be used very much like Windows 7, has additional features, and (for the moment) doesn't lack support or have the compatibility problems associated with an unsupported OS. What's the benefit--other than the one-time financial and time costs of upgrading--of not updating now?
    Mainly pure recalcitrance and a great dislike for a Company that started out by downloading 10 without people's express permission. I stuck with XP long after support stopped until I bought my current Dell Core i5 and reaped the benefits of 64-bit addressing.

A sort of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude - and, at my age, the fewer LCPD (learning curves per day) the better.

Real Name
    Dan

I like the learning curve per unit time metric.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I'm sort of with you Ted and Dan, so there are a mix of Windows 8, 10 and 11 computers running here.

There generally has to be a compelling reason for me to upgrade and that has generally been when I replace an old computer and it ships with a new OS (hence Windows 11 on the laptop I bought last month). Sometimes the software I need / use will not run under the old OS (that has also happened, especially with respect to video editing software that has some fancy hooks into modern graphics cards for video encoding / rendering functionality). Adobe and Microsoft are the key culprits here; my Windows 8 software could not run the more modern version of Photoshop, which had new functionality that I find very useful.