Thread: views from a Stone Church

Real Name
    Jack

views from a Stone Church

I took this picture a while ago. It's a view from the back of a stone church not far from my home.
    Thought it was worth sharing. When I get a chance I'll post the church itself; it's simple, yet elegant.
    More to come.... ;-)

views from a Stone ChurchDSC07030-2 by jk Sullivan, on Flickr

Re: views from a Stone Church

Is that the original size or a crop, Jack? While it is effective I find it to be rather tight at the sides and top, although maybe you had to avoid something on the sides? And could you get away with a fraction more highlight boost, or similar adjustment, selectively applied to brighten the foreground without over exposing that delicate sky?

Real Name
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Is that the original size or a crop, Jack? While it is effective I find it to be rather tight at the sides and top, although maybe you had to avoid something on the sides? And could you get away with a fraction more highlight boost, or similar adjustment, selectively applied to brighten the foreground without over exposing that delicate sky?
    Without the crop
    views from a Stone ChurchDSC07030-3 by jk Sullivan, on Flickr

Church
    views from a Stone ChurchDSC07024-2 by jk Sullivan, on Flickr

Real Name
    Dan

I like the uncropped archway better. The crop seems too tight to me.

The lighting is problematic: you have some constrast and relatively bright light in the background, but the lighting of the arch is drab--darker and low in contrast. You can do a lot to fix this with basic editing. I did a very quick and dirty edit with three steps:

1. I selected the archway (kind of carelessly) and lightened it with a curve.
    2. I dodged a little to further lighten the arch itself and the lower right of the wall, both of which were dark.
    3. I used a curve to increase midtone contrast (which also increases saturation somewhat).

This just a quick edit, and I didn't do enough, but it shows the directions I'm thinking of.

views from a Stone Church

Dan's edit to the arch is exactly what I was thinking about.