Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Comparing lenses for full frame vs. APS-C sensors

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Comparing lenses for full frame vs. APS-C sensors

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Just a a factoid: my prograf 1000 has 11 color inks, as well as a 12th cartridge which is a transparent surface coating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I assume that only one black, either a photo black or a matte black is used at any one time, depending on whether you are using a matte or luster paper? My understanding is that the coating is an anti-bronzing process, but could be wrong, so you are using a 10-ink colour process.

My P800 has nine inks with two different blacks; matte black and photo black. There is no surface coating process ink like with the Canon printers. I know that the new P900 and P700 have added a purple ink that is primarily used to give more texture to deep shadow areas.

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Comparing lenses for full frame vs. APS-C sensors

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    I assume that only one black, either a photo black or a matte black is used at any one time, depending on whether you are using a matte or luster paper? My understanding is that the coating is an anti-bronzing process, but could be wrong, so you are using a 10-ink colour process.

My P800 has nine inks with two different blacks; matte black and photo black. There is no surface coating process ink like with the Canon printers. I know that the new P900 and P700 have added a purple ink that is primarily used to give more texture to deep shadow areas.
    Yes, this gets into an inconsistency in how printers are described. For example, take the Epson P900, which does have both matte and photo blacks mounted. Epson calls this a "10 ink 10 color" printer (https://epson.com/For-Work/Printers/...r/p/C11CH37201), but as you point out, it would be more accurately described as "10 ink 9 color". My prograf would be called a "12 ink 10 color" printer.

Going off into yet another tangent, I might well have bought a P900 had the been available when I bought my prograf. After reading review after review, I concluded that the differences in print quality between the Prograf and the P800 are usually minute (apart from the lessening of bronzing from the Prograf's clearcoat), so my list of pros and cons was mostly other things. One of the biggest disadvantages of the P800 in my mind was that Epson was at that point still requiring that users swap black inks.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112