Thread: Which Calibrite Colorchecker?

Real Name
    David

Which Calibrite Colorchecker?

I am looking to purchase a Calibrite (formerly X-Rite) device but there are several models available and the literature does not seem to provide me with sufficient explanation of the differences.

Does the Display Pro model actively monitor the ambient light and change the screen settings as the light in the room alters? If so, does it do this in real time or just prompt for the user to recalibrate when it detects a change beyond a certain tolerance?

Is the Studio model necessary for printing if one uses the ICC profile for the paper and the printer manufacturer's own inks?

The Studio model has ambient light measuring but not ambient light monitoring. As an amateur low volume print maker, should I

(a) take notice of the fact that the Studio model is described as for photographers who print
    (b) prioritise the ambient light monitoring (as well as measurement) provided by the Display Pro; or
    (c) accept the basic Display model that will calibrate the monitor but will ignore ambient light and printed output?

The Studio model is substantially more expensive whereas the Display PRO is a similar cost to the Display model.

There is also a Display Plus model but that is described as being for professionals.

Calibrite provide a comparison sheet here: https://calibrite.com/wp-content/upl...n-chart-EN.pdf

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Which Calibrite Colorchecker?

By coincidence, Tim Grey answered this in his email blast today:

in my view there is no reason to spend more for the Pro or Plus package for display calibration, as the basic ColorChecker Display (https://timgrey.me/calibrite) will provide everything you need to calibrate a monitor or digital projector.
    I've used the basic model for years. It's all you need to calibrate your monitor. The inks aren't relevant to that stage of color management; calibrating the monitor simply ensures the accuracy of the display. Printers and inks don't enter into it.

The basic model evaluates but doesn't monitor ambient light. You use it to make sure that you have set ambient light to a reasonable level. I used it to figure out where to set the dimmers in the room where I do my editing.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

David - I use the i1 Display Pro. In my case, my had was somewhat forced by my computer screen BenQ SW2700), which ships with its own profiling and calibration software (Palette Master Element). This was the lowest model that the software would run.

On higher end displays for photo and video editing, they are equipped with onboard lookup tables (LUT) and the software writes the profiling data directly to the screen's LUT. The advantage is that this information becomes part of the screen and it is active as soon as the screen starts up.

The x-Rite / Calibrite software writes to your computer's hard drive and it is applied during the computer startup and is easier to accidentally change through use of the screen setting controls.

In terms of actively monitoring ambient light conditions, that is not a situation I would want to work under. My workspace is set up in a place where the light levels are constant and I know that the colours will look the same regardless of the time of day that I am working. If you look at professional retouchers, this is how they have their setup done as well. Consistency of ambient light is critical to a strong, consistent workflow, so I never use this feature.

In terms the technology of the studio model, none of the high end print makers profile their own papers. There is a small, theoretical advantage to doing so, but for the volume / level of work that I do, I can live with the paper manufacturer's profile and still get gallery quality prints. The i1 Display / Display Pro are colorimeters and measure the light emitted by the screens. The more advanced models like the Studio are photospectrometers that include a light source to calibrate reflected light for printer / paper / ink set profiles. Unless you see a need to create paper profiles, I would suggest saving money and not going for that model.

Real Name
    Dan

David,

When I read Manfred's post, a light went off in my mind. My first post wasn't accurate. I too use a wide-gamut monitor (an NEC) that uses its own softare and is calibrated by writing to the monitor's own LUT, and I too am using the x-Rite Pro, not the basic model. I don't think this will be an issue for you if you are using a standard monitor, but if you are using or plan to use a wide-gamut monitor, it is likely to be an issue.

I have only had a wide gamut monitor for a few years, and I used the standard x-Rite software to calibrate a number of sRGB monitors over quite a number of years. I never had any problems with it.

Dan

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    By coincidence, Tim Grey answered this in his email blast today.
    Yes, I received his email, too, but felt it concentrated solely on the monitor.

I've used the basic model for years. It's all you need to calibrate your monitor. The inks aren't relevant to that stage of color management; calibrating the monitor simply ensures the accuracy of the display. Printers and inks don't enter into it.
    But then I presume there is the printing stage to consider as well.

The basic model evaluates but doesn't monitor ambient light. You use it to make sure that you have set ambient light to a reasonable level. I used it to figure out where to set the dimmers in the room where I do my editing.
    Thanks, that explains the basic model well.

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    I use the i1 Display Pro. In my case, my had was somewhat forced by my computer screen BenQ SW2700), which ships with its own profiling and calibration software (Palette Master Element). This was the lowest model that the software would run.
    My screen is a BenQ SW270C and it can also use the Palette Master Element calibration software. Following your post I have now established from the downloaded manual that it requires the Calibrite Display Pro model (or better), as you say. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

On higher end displays for photo and video editing, they are equipped with onboard lookup tables (LUT) and the software writes the profiling data directly to the screen's LUT. The advantage is that this information becomes part of the screen and it is active as soon as the screen starts up.

The x-Rite / Calibrite software writes to your computer's hard drive and it is applied during the computer startup and is easier to accidentally change through use of the screen setting controls.
    This type of background information is really useful as it provides the rationale behind the recommendation. Thank you!

In terms of actively monitoring ambient light conditions, that is not a situation I would want to work under. My workspace is set up in a place where the light levels are constant and I know that the colours will look the same regardless of the time of day that I am working. If you look at professional retouchers, this is how they have their setup done as well. Consistency of ambient light is critical to a strong, consistent workflow, so I never use this feature.
    I shall be redecorating my study later this year. Despite having only a smallish north facing window, I shall probably include a dark blind to provide more consistent ambient lighting throughout the day. In the meantime I can can experiment with black mountboard to create a similar effect. I shall also consider changes to the room's artificial light when I redecorate.

The i1 Display / Display Pro are colorimeters and measure the light emitted by the screens. The more advanced models like the Studio are photospectrometers that include a light source to calibrate reflected light for printer / paper / ink set profiles. Unless you see a need to create paper profiles, I would suggest saving money and not going for that model.
    Any non Canon paper I might use in the future will have ICC profiles available, and the Canon ones will have them available via the printer driver, so I conclude that I can save my money and avoid the Calibrite Studio model.

I shall buy the Display Pro later this month as they are seldom on offer at a discount here in the UK.

Real Name
    David

Dan

Thank you for the clarification. My new monitor is a BenQ SW270C and I believe it is a wide gamut monitor. My recent reply to Manfred shows my current thinking leading to my conclusion that the Display Pro is what I shall require.

As you said previously, the printer, inks etc can be ignored not least because I cannot foresee a need to create my own ICC profiles for any papers.

BTW I am keeping the old 20 inch HP monitor (2007 vintage) as a second screen as it may be useful for Photoshop panels, Spotify, office apps etc which will help de-clutter the main screen.

David

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

David - there is one "trick" to using Palette Master Element. Your screen has to be connected to your computer via USB cable for the software to work. On mySW2700, this works out well as I have a couple of USB ports that I can connect to on the screen, so I just leave the connection cable in place.

If you use your old screen in the way you plan, it can be calibrated with the ccProfiler that comes with the i1 Display Pro.

Real Name
    David

David - there is one "trick" to using Palette Master Element. Your screen has to be connected to your computer via USB cable for the software to work. On mySW2700, this works out well as I have a couple of USB ports that I can connect to on the screen, so I just leave the connection cable in place.

If you use your old screen in the way you plan, it can be calibrated with the ccProfiler that comes with the i1 Display Pro.
    Manfred - thank you for the heads up!

My screen has two USB ports (on the side) and I have spare ones on my PC so that should work well.

As the old screen will not be critical for my hobby I will consider calibrating with the Calibrite software at some stage just to improve the it for my general domestic admin use.

Real Name
    Dan

David,

My NEC monitor has a bunch of ports, but some are "upstream" and others are "downstream." I would check the documentation of the monitor and the calibration software to see whether this is true of yours and, if so, which you have to use to connect the calibration tool. I don't recall but will have to look this up again for mine, as I need to recalibrate soon.

Dan

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

David - check along the bottom where the video and power cables go, as that is the way my screen has been set up. That is your input USB (as per Dan's comment) and the two side ports connect to the are what you can connect any peripherals to.

Real Name
    David

Thank you Dan and Manfred.

I recall when researching which monitor to buy that there were "upstream" and "downstream" connections, but did not (and still don't) understand the terminology. I was more concerned that one or more the video ports in the screen and PC would be compatible.

However I have found a diagram and reference in the screen's manual to a "USB port (upstream; connecting to the PC)" located on the bottom of the screen so that must be the one Manfred referred to.

I tried connecting my Bamboo tablet and a USB memory stick to one of the two (downstream?) USB ports on the side of the monitor and nothing happened. They were not recognised. So can you suggest which peripherals these ports might be useful for?

There is also a (downstream?) card reader slot but I shall not have a use for that as I have a good external one.

Real Name
    Dan

David,

I'm not an expert, but my understanding it this:

1. On a monitor, upstream ports go to the computer, while downstream ports go to peripherals you may want to connect to the monitor.

2. Downstream ports are typically not powered, which may be why you aren't having success with them.

But again, please check, as I may be wrong.

Dan

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

David - I have no such issues. Is your upstream USB port connected to your computer and functioning? Unless it is working, your downstream ports won't. Look at these two ports as well as the card readers as being plugged into a USB hub.

I generally use my webcam and my wireless connector for my tablet in the and have never had any issues except for the time I accidentally unplugged the upstream port from my computer...

Real Name
    David

Is your upstream USB port connected to your computer and functioning? Unless it is working, your downstream ports won't. Look at these two ports as well as the card readers as being plugged into a USB hub.
    That solves it!

By thinking of the side ports as a USB hub, it becomes obvious that I needed the upstream USB connection to be be in place (it wasn't). It also makes the terms "upstream" and "downstream" more intuitively meaningful to me.

The Calibrite Display Pro is on order and I can see from the Palette Master Element manual that it will also plug into a downstream port and requires the upstream connection to be in place as well.

I shall probably leave the upstream connection to the PC and downstream to the tablet in place permanently.

Many thanks again for your help.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    That solves it!

By thinking of the side ports as a USB hub, it becomes obvious that I needed the upstream USB connection to be be in place (it wasn't). It also makes the terms "upstream" and "downstream" more intuitively meaningful to me.

The Calibrite Display Pro is on order and I can see from the Palette Master Element manual that it will also plug into a downstream port and requires the upstream connection to be in place as well.

I shall probably leave the upstream connection to the PC and downstream to the tablet in place permanently.

Many thanks again for your help.
    Good! Now make sure you do not unplug that computer to screen connection as Palette Master Element uses that to write to the screen's LUT when you profile / calibrate your screen.