Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: RAW image download and transfer

Real Name
    Richard

RAW image download and transfer

I have just purchased a new HP 14" Laptop Computer with Windows 11. While this computer is not particularly powerful (as nowadays computers go), A few years ago, I would have considered the specs remarkable at 8 GB of RAM and a 256 GB SSD. The price at COSTCO Warehouse is quite decent since there is a $100 USD off sale at the present time.

My primary use for this computer is working on my genealogy files. I needed a small and portable computer which I can carry along when I research my genealogy, I learned that my Chromebook is not compatible with the genealogy program that I use: Legacy Family Tree 9.0. Judy and I are planning to take a trip to the LDS (Mormon) Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah when and if COVID allows us the freedom to do so. That is the largest collection of genealogical information in the world. Much of the info is online but, in person research is far easier and more profitable. It would be nice to have all my information with me. I can store my Legacy Family Tree information in the Cloud - so 256GB will be fine for storage. It will also link to my desktop computer. Judy would use a Microsoft Edge for her information...

I do not plan to use this computer for any heavy photo editing BUT, I would like to be able to download RAW images from my SD Card (I would store these on a small physical size but fairly large capacity external hard drive). I would also to do some very light editing (mostly just cropping) of genealogy JPEG images that I might download from the various Internet genealogy web sites.

I subscribe to Photoshop CC and wonder if that would be the best program to use for the RAW download and limited editing that I plan to do. I can use Photoshop CC on this second computer without having to pay any extra fees. Would the 8 GB of RAM plus 256 GB of SSD hard drive be enough for those uses? It has been a long time since I used a computer with minimum specs for Photoshop...

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: RAW image download and transfer

Richard - Photoshop CC and the other software is licenced on up to two computers, so no issue there. If you want to switch to a third machine, you have to de-register it online; a matter of a few seconds, depending on your internet speed.

With the low end machines, I always worry about the CPU they put in them as there are some very underpowered devices being sold. They are fine for browsing the internet, but not much more.

I always use Adobe Bridge for my downloads, but Windows Explorer or Lightroom Classic both work. With a SSD, you might have enough fast storage on your machine to compensate for the 8GB of RAM, but you will have to test it. With a 256 GB SSD, you won't have a lot of on-board storage, so some form of external drive is going to be pretty well obligatory.

Real Name
    Richard

Thanks Manfred... I think that for my uses, this machine will be adequate. It will certainly be O.K. for my major use - genealogy. It will be nice to have my Legacy Program with me when I do research. Downloading information to my Chromebook and then needing to upload it to my Legacy program has become a bit of a PITA.

Of course, the way things are going with COVID, I may not be boing a lot of in-person research.

In person research at my local LDS Family History Center is certainly effective. The FamilySearch.org program is more fully fleshed if you can sign in as an up-to-date member of the LDS Church. That is possible at the Family History Center, even for non Mormons.

We recently learned that Joseph Smith, the founder of the Mormon Church is in my wife's family tree (although not direct ancestor). It will be interesting to see what the LDS Family History Center has on that line of her family...

Real Name
    Dan

I suspect that this will be fine for light editing in Lightroom. Photoshop is another matter. Lightroom doesn't create large files, so it doesn't need gobs of swap space.

What could slow LR down is very complex edits, as the computer has to do all of the calculations in real time, I believe. Since you don't plan on anything but light edits, I suspect you'll be fine.

Real Name
    Richard

I am going to try Sony Imaging Edge application.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv6YWsHsqHo

This seems to be just about what I need for RAW downloads I will carry this lightweight computer on travels (if I ever get to travel again). It also seems that I can do some very light editing of JPEG images. An additional plus is that I can use the Imaging Edge application to control my Sony cameras when shooting.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 9th January 2022 at 05:15 PM.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

If you were to use LR you should find that for most editing (develop module) that speed is not an issue as the editing is not done using the full size image.

However when you export images LR needs to process the full size image and this is when the processing power and lack of memory will become more apparent. Luckily you can leave your laptop unattended while doing the export and have a coffee. For one off exports the extra time will not be particularly noticeable but if you are exporting about 5 or more (depending on your laptops performance, file sizes and your patience) the extra time will become increasing obvious.

Real Name
    Richard

I get the new laptop tomorrow. I am going to experiment with downloading Sony RAW images with Sony Imaging Edge software to determine the speeds that I can expect when downloading wirelessly and also when the SD card is inserted into the card reader slot of the computer.

I have a small physical size Seagate 1 TB USB 3.0 external hard drive on which I will store the down-loaded RAW files. It is an older hard drive and if it works that will be fine. However, if the speed is too slow, I will invest in a new external SSD hard drive.

I can pick up an external SSD HD with 1 TB capacity for between $100 and $150 USD.

BTW: The only editing I expect to do with this computer is to crop and size the genealogy images (most often B&W) that I download from the Internet or from sites like an LDS Family History Center.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 15th January 2022 at 04:47 PM.