Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Correct ambient light environment for soft proofing

Correct ambient light environment for soft proofing

What is the correct ambient light environment for soft proofing? Some internet sites say good light, some say a dark environment.
    Is there a best lighting setup?
    Thanks
    Bob
    Last edited by RockvilleBob; 12th January 2022 at 02:21 AM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Correct ambient light environment for soft proofing

Soft proofing is just an emulation of what your print will look like on the paper you selected in the soft proofing setup screen.

Your computer screen should be set at your normal output level of between 80 and 120 candela / square meter and the ambient light in your room should be dim, not too dark to see. Recommendations tend to be that you should be no higher than 70 lux at the work station and ideally below 40 lux. At that light level you should be still be able to read printed text, but it will be a strain if you keep it up for too long. As a comparison, normal office lighting is at least 500 lux.

Direct ambient light on the computer screen should be avoided.

Real Name
    Dan

All I would add to Manfred's excellent advice is that you can leave some modest wiggle room for individual variation. That's implied by the range he gives for output level. If I'm not mistaken, Manfred works at the low end of the 80-120 cd/m^2 range, while I work nearer the top end, usually 110 cd/m^. You can figure this out with a little trial and error. Regardless of output setting, if the if the ratio of screen illumination to ambient light level is off, the brightness of the print will be too.

I don't do serious soft-proofing in the daytime because I don't have the ability to block out all external light and therefore can't control the ambient lighting level well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Soft proofing is just an emulation of what your print will look like on the paper you selected in the soft proofing setup screen.

Your computer screen should be set at your normal output level of between 80 and 120 candela / square meter and the ambient light in your room should be dim, not too dark to see. Recommendations tend to be that you should be no higher than 70 lux at the work station and ideally below 40 lux. At that light level you should be still be able to read printed text, but it will be a strain if you keep it up for too long. As a comparison, normal office lighting is at least 500 lux.

Direct ambient light on the computer screen should be avoided.
    Thank you Manfred - very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    All I would add to Manfred's excellent advice is that you can leave some modest wiggle room for individual variation. That's implied by the range he gives for output level. If I'm not mistaken, Manfred works at the low end of the 80-120 cd/m^2 range, while I work nearer the top end, usually 110 cd/m^. You can figure this out with a little trial and error. Regardless of output setting, if the if the ratio of screen illumination to ambient light level is off, the brightness of the print will be too.

I don't do serious soft-proofing in the daytime because I don't have the ability to block out all external light and therefore can't control the ambient lighting level well enough.
    Thankyou Dan