Thread: Abandoned Beach

Real Name
    Jack

Abandoned Beach

Somewhere south of St Augustine, Florida. I set out to capture the Milky way this morning, but the fog and haze were not having it. I decided to go exploring along the coastal highway and found an abandoned house and lot.
    I got there in time to capture this image.
    ISO:50
    20mm
    f/6.3
    1.3 sec

CC welcomed. Thanks in advance

Abandoned BeachA7401015 by jk Sullivan, on Flickr

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Abandoned Beach

Nice capture.

If it were mine, I'd made several adjustments:

--I'd lop off some of the bottom. It has too much weight for my taste
    --I'd bring up the shadows somewhat so that the foreground doesn't dominate as much
    --I'd separately add contrast to both the foreground rocks and the rest, with more added to the top (which also brings up saturation)
    --I'd sharpen using a tool that doesn't sharpen the water, like Smart Sharpen, or sharpen locally.

I'll post a very quick and dirty edit along those lines so you can see whether any of this is to your liking.

I'd then do some dodging and burning, e.g., to darken the bright area bottom left.

Abandoned Beach

Real Name
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Nice capture.

If it were mine, I'd made several adjustments:

--I'd lop off some of the bottom. It has too much weight for my taste
    --I'd bring up the shadows somewhat so that the foreground doesn't dominate as much
    --I'd separately add contrast to both the foreground rocks and the rest, with more added to the top (which also brings up saturation)
    --I'd sharpen using a tool that doesn't sharpen the water, like Smart Sharpen, or sharpen locally.

I'll post a very quick and dirty edit along those lines so you can see whether any of this is to your liking.

I'd then do some dodging and burning, e.g., to darken the bright area bottom left.

Abandoned Beach
    I like it!

I have never been a fan of slow speed water shots, Jack, but some people like this approach.

However, you also have some out of focus foreground which I find to be more of a problem. I would crop the bottom to remove those out of focus bits then either leave it as a more extreme form of widescreen or take off a balancing amount from the left side.