Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filckr and SmugMug

Real Name
    Joe

Filckr and SmugMug

Flickr and SmugMug.
    I am thinking of closing my Flickr account in prefeance for SmugMug. However I use Flickr to move my pics from my files into CIC.
    I have used Flickr exclusively for such a long time that I can't remember the other methods for moving pics into CIC. Can someone please re mind me how to do this without Flickr? I also have not posted anything recently so am not up-to-date on any process changes in this regard.
    Thanks for your help.

Real Name
    Ted

Re: Filckr and SmugMug

Quote Originally Posted by joebranko View Post
    Flickr and SmugMug.
    I am thinking of closing my Flickr account in preference for SmugMug. However I use Flickr to move my pics from my files into CIC.
    How does closing a Flickr account affect images already referenced here? Anybody?

I have used Flickr exclusively for such a long time that I can't remember the other methods for moving pics into CIC. Can someone please re mind me how to do this without Flickr? I also have not posted anything recently so am not up-to-date on any process changes in this regard.
    Thanks for your help.
    Have you read this recently, Joe?

HELP THREAD: How can I post images here?

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Flickr have been owned by Smugmug since about 3 years ago.

I think it is still free to keep <1000 photos on Flickr.

Real Name
    Dan

I'm not certain, but I think if you remove the image from the source, it will eventually disappear here.

I would leave the photos you are concerned about in a free Flickr account and use Smugmug for new ones.

I've used Smugmug for years and am a big fan. It has templates for creating all sorts of websites, although like anything else that is flexible, it has a bit of a learning curve if you want to customize substantially. Linking from there to here is trivially easy.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    I would leave the photos you are concerned about in a free Flickr account and use Smugmug for new ones.

I've used Smugmug for years and am a big fan. It has templates for creating all sorts of websites, although like anything else that is flexible, it has a bit of a learning curve if you want to customize substantially. Linking from there to here is trivially easy.
    I endorse everything that Dan says.

There are several alternatives to Flickr/Smug Mug and most of them should link images into CinC. Some are free while others make a small charge. So you have plenty of options to consider, Joe.

I use P base which I find suitable for my way of working. It allows reasonably sized images and is so easy to use even I can understand most of the settings.

But there is a small annual charge of $23 for 3000MB. But that avoids adverts or having your details sold.

Real Name
    Joe

Thanks Ted.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by pschlute View Post
    Flickr have been owned by Smugmug since about 3 years ago.

I think it is still free to keep <1000 photos on Flickr.
    I am thinking of moving several hundred photos from Flickr to SmugMug to get below 1000 photos and qualifying for the free membership. Hope I can find a way of moving them in batches,

Real Name
    Joe

Thanks Dan.

Real Name
    Joe

Thanks Donald.

Real Name
    Joe

Thanks Geoff. I must look at P Base. Was not aware of their service.

Real Name
    Ian

500px is another hosting site you may not have come across but has similarities and differences too.

https://500px.com/
    Last edited by shreds; 5th February 2022 at 10:25 PM.

If you are thinking about also considering P base, Joe, here is a link to my galleries there.

https://pbase.com/crustacean

There are good arguments for and against all sites, but I would particularly suggest considering maximum image size and personal security as well as ease of use.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    If you are thinking about also considering P base, Joe, here is a link to my galleries there.

https://pbase.com/crustacean

There are good arguments for and against all sites, but I would particularly suggest considering maximum image size and personal security as well as ease of use.
    Your gallery on pbase shows very small images Geoff. What size are you uploading to them ?

Real Name
    Leo Bhaskara

Quote Originally Posted by joebranko View Post
    I am thinking of moving several hundred photos from Flickr to SmugMug to get below 1000 photos and qualifying for the free membership. Hope I can find a way of moving them in batches,
    Apparently there's an official method to migrate your photos from Flickr to SmugMug.
    https://www.smugmughelp.com/en/artic...-videos#flickr

Good luck.

Your gallery on pbase shows very small images Geoff. What size are you uploading to them ?
    You are probably looking at the thumbnail size, Peter. Clicking on a thumbnail produces a larger image with the option of small/medium/large/original sizes. My upload size is usually around 1200 pixels wide, or 800 in height, which is around full screen size for most people.

P base doesn't make those options obvious. Maybe I should add something about those alternatives in my title text.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Your link took to your earliest photos, which like my own are a smaller size. Your more recent ones are larger, thanks.

I would think that a desk top monitor today, 1200 pixels wide would be considered on the small side. I view at 2560.

Real Name
    Ted

I would think that a desk top monitor today, 1200 pixels wide would be considered on the small side. I view at 2560.
    An interesting point. Do today's monitors display only at native size (2K, 4K, 5K) thereby causing all prior saved images to appear small whether one likes it or not?

I view my 24-inch NEC 1920x1200px monitor from about 18" and have no intention of going up from there because of my poor visual acuity.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    An interesting point. Do today's monitors display only at native size (2K, 4K, 5K) thereby causing all prior saved images to appear small whether one likes it or not?
    Not my field really, but I think most monitors can display at less than their max resolution. For me on Windows it is a right click on the desktop, into display settings and select another resolution. But it is not practical to do so just to view a low pixel image.

Real Name
    Ted

Originally Posted by xpatUSA Filckr and SmugMug An interesting point. Do today's monitors display only at native size (2K, 4K, 5K) thereby causing all prior saved images to appear small whether one likes it or not?
    Not my field really, but I think most monitors can display at less than their max resolution. For me on Windows it is a right click on the desktop, into display settings and select another resolution. But it is not practical to do so just to view a low pixel image.
    Understood.

My most-used camera produces 3.4MP ( native 2268x1512px) images; therefore my 1920x1200px monitor is practical enough for my purposes.
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 8th February 2022 at 04:37 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast