Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tripod/Head for a Sigma 160-600 Contemporary

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Tripod/Head for a Sigma 160-600 Contemporary

BTW: this generic type of optical sight is being used for initial target acquisition for Stinger Missiles
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf6qEt2SlmA

And here is a video on using the Olympus Red Dot sight on a camera
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb0SvMNgCSc

Real Name
    Randy Butters

So many great ideas, suggestions here. Thanks to all for your comments.

Since posting this back in February, I was gone for a fairly long trip, about a month, so I had no opportunity to do any systematic testing with this lens to try to pin down any possible issues with it. But I did take my camera gear and used the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary quite a bit.

I ended up not using my tripod, or monopod, with this lens for any of my shooting along the way. While I still had some issues with not-sharp images, mostly I did great. Doing handheld shots, I was getting very good results at full-out extension of the lens and at a wide range of different distances. Many were over 100 to 150 feet and the results sharp.

So I am beginning to feel calmer about my purchase of this lens. Still, I have yet to figure out tripod shooting with it. I always assumed I would be using a tripod or a monopod with this lens, and I still think that will be the way to go for a lot of situations.

I am very much convinced that I hate ball heads. That has more to do with my experience with night shooting with UWA lenses than my attempts so far to use this telephoto on a tripod. A geared head will probably suit me best for night shots, but I think I really like the idea of the video head and even the Cobra 2 monopod (Trev's suggestion, I believe).

The sports finder looks very interesting but I totally fog when considering how that is used.

As for the red dot sight, I am very glad this was mentioned, mostly because it reminds me of one of them I had previously used for night shooting. Quite some time ago, I made myself a homemade star tracker for extra long exposures at night that would avoid star trails. I used a red dot sight for polar alignment. Nowadays, I use a MSM tracker with a laser to find the polar star. Lasers of course are problematic often because...welll they're lasers, not for use near any airports, not for use in some places where they are legally banned completely, and they are just plain obtrusive in dark sky settings where others are present for viewing/photographing the night sky. So...a red dot should help. I found mine to work fine for my purposes in the past. I will carry one with me again as an alternative to the laser sight.

And Bill, your last comments above, where you list off so many factors -- great help in terms of putting it altogether.

Thanks again. I will most likely be back with more question in another post later. So much to learn, just with this lens.

Randy

Real Name
    Dennis Brown

As an update to my original advisory post, I've made a quantum change in my choice of tripods.

In one fell swoop, I sold all my aluminum tripods and accompanying heads. Included were Manfrotto 475B, 055 Pro (aluminum), Bogen 3035, 3033, 3046, 3251, and a Gitzo Studex. Heads included several 3047's, and a Bogen 3038 Super Ball Head.

I recently found a great deal on a Gitzo G1540G and it's a great "traveler". It came with the GH1780QR head.

I already own a Manfrotto MT055XPRO3 CF.

I just purchased an Induro CT-303 (BTW - funded by the tripod sale). It has a claimed capacity of 44lb, and I've tested it @ 30 lbs, and it seems to hold at least as well advertised. I have been skeptical about twist-locks. I've always been a fan of clamp locks, but this Induro has changed my mind. One quarter turn to lock, and it does lock down tightly.

I also decided to cut down on my tripod head inventory - I did retain a Bogen 3039 (Manfrotto 229), and 1 3047. However, those 3-way heads have been replaced by Manfrotto MHXPRO-3W (x2). I've added Arca-Swiss adapter receivers, so everything is now standardized for regular use.

I mounted my D810 and Nikkor 200-500 f/5.6. And on all the tripods, the combination is rock solid, even in breezy conditions.

Real Name
    Ted

Well done. I like fell swoops.

OT, but I recently sold all but one of my Sigma-Foveon cameras, keeping only their original raw-only SD9 DSLR which I had found new-in-box on ebay.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Congratulations Dennis - I am 100% carbon fibre legs (with the exception of my video tripod, that only gets used when I can throw it in the car and don't carry it to far). I have long been a fan of the twist lock design as they don't get caught on things and don't need periodic adjustments. There are times where I replace my centre column with a fixed plate for super stable setups.

I use my RRS ball head for all my normal work (I've done 2 hour exposures with perfect pixel alignment, but do have to allow a few minutes for head to stabilize). I use a Benro geared head for precision work and when I need zero droop guarantees. By the way, Induro and Benro are the same company and the products are made on the same production line in the same factory.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123