Thread: Old photos, new skills.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Old photos, new skills.

I have learned a lot over the years in post-processing images, in no small part thanks to this wonderful forum.

I looked back at some images taken in 2006 when i was getting used to my first digital camera. I had a go at re-working them with my current knowledge. I only had jpeg to work with as I didn't have a clue about raw capture in those early days. They have been edited mainly using selective lightening/darkening with the curves tool using layer masks.

Let me know what you think. These were taken in Marrakech in 2006.

Old photos, new skills.IMGP0076_edited-1 by Peter Schluter, on Flickr

Old photos, new skills.IMGP0084_edited-1 by Peter Schluter, on Flickr

Real Name
    Ted

Re: Old photos, new skills.

Looking good to me, Peter.

In the first image, how about that really bright bit between the guy's elbow and his neck? Perhaps copy and past some of that orangy-beige fabric into there?

Who would know

Real Name
    Sharon

Love them both. The expression on the mans face in the 2nd image is fantastic... as if he has great love and care for his product. Tells a wonderful story.

The first one is a difficult scene which works OK although there are a few small areas of over exposure which could be selectively toned down

The second one is another tricky scene which works fine although a pity about the motion blur on his hand. But some people like that sort thing because it suggests movement.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Thanks for the comments.

Ted...yes I am going t give that a try.

Sharon...Thank you, that is the feeling I have too.

Geoff.... I appreciate the response.The problem is the overexposed parts are blown. There is no salvage possible. I took these image in jpeg on a 6MP camera. I knew nothing about raw or PP procedures then.

I actually do not mind the motion blur in his hand or that he himself is not particularly sharp. The importance of the image for me is the subject is placed in his environment.

Real Name
    Dan

I like the second and am not bothered by the motion blur. However, I would do some dodging and burning to bring out the person, e.g.,

Old photos, new skills.

Real Name
    Daniel

I like the first image. I like how the subject's form, sloping back, outstretched arm, and peaked elbow imitate the shape of the mounds he leans over.

Initially, I saw his form differently, as if he was in a kungfu stance.
    Last edited by escape; 17th March 2022 at 10:54 AM.

Real Name
    Jack

Personally, I think they're both great Pete! But that's me. When I see these images it reminds me of a simpler time, when human interaction was the norm.
    No Amazon, no online shopping, no masks. Just merchants in their element, serving customers.
    As I stated before, a simpler time.
    Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by pschlute View Post
    I have learned a lot over the years in post-processing images, in no small part thanks to this wonderful forum.

I looked back at some images taken in 2006 when i was getting used to my first digital camera. I had a go at re-working them with my current knowledge. I only had jpeg to work with as I didn't have a clue about raw capture in those early days. They have been edited mainly using selective lightening/darkening with the curves tool using layer masks.

Let me know what you think. These were taken in Marrakech in 2006.

Old photos, new skills.IMGP0076_edited-1 by Peter Schluter, on Flickr

Old photos, new skills.IMGP0084_edited-1 by Peter Schluter, on Flickr

Real Name
    Dubravka

Excellent shots, Peter

Real Name
    Richard

I agree with Dan's comment regarding dodging and burning, etc.

However, I really like to use some fill flash in images like this. When I was shooting Canon gear, I absolutely loved the tiny but versatile Canon 270EX or 270EX ii ii and almost always had one on my camera hotshoe along with a Joe Demb FlipIt type reflector/diffuser. Now that I shoot with Sony gear, my flash of choice for travel fill is the small but even more versatile Godox TT350S Mini Thinklite TTL Flash...

I used the 270EX flash in bounce mode with the Joe Demb reflector/diffuser on this image...

Old photos, new skills.

Note: I own three 350S flashes. I purchased one and received the other two as part of free (yes - really no extra coat) packages from Adorama when I purchased two lenses. However, if I were to purchase a small flash now - I would select the Godox V350 because of the almost instantaneous recycle of that unit...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 27th March 2022 at 05:46 PM.