Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there such a camera?

Real Name
    David

Re: Is there such a camera?

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    There are many things on my camera (and other things that I own; cars, washing machines, dishwashers, etc.) where I only use some of the features. I rarely use more than three burners on my stove, but it only came in 4 and 5 burner models.

Very fair point. My stove also has 4 burners where I could easily get by with only 3 but the User Guide is NOT 700 pages long and, at least for me, it hasn't added much complexity to using the stove. Likewise there is NO menu with 6 main tabs and 27 total items that each contain up 7 entries that have to be navigated with a couple of buttons. And it looks like if you switch to video mode there is a whole different menu to deal with.

I'm NOT surprised to learn that the answer to my question is "NOT really" and there probably is a definite limit to how money I'd be willing to spend just to shrink those menus.

I am grateful to know that those with expert experience can confirm this reality.

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    So do two small room humidifiers I bought this winter. Seems to me that the major function of wireless on a device like this is to increase the risk of a data leak or having one's network breached. I have several friends who are automating as much of their homes as they can, using Alexa, Siri, or whatnot. I initially thought that this was solving a problem I don't have. then I realized that it would be worsening a problem we all do have. Particularly at the age some of us have reached, setting things up so that one can remain seated for even longer times is not exactly healthy. I do use ioT (internet of things) functions when they are useful, but otherwise, I avoid it.
    It looks like Dan and I do have plenty in common.

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    But back to cameras: I think the most useful thing for a novice to do is to make a list, perhaps with help from someone who has more expertise, of the features that would be valuable for her or him, given what they photograph, and then try to avoid spending money on things that aren't helpful. Of course, there are only so many combinations available, so one inevitably buys features one won't use much, if at all.

I think that's pretty much what I did when acquiring my new camera but you all provided a good bit of much appreciated help.

Given the direction of this discussion so far, maybe it would be fair to pose a more specific question pertaining to a feature I wasn't necessarily after but might possibly appreciate. Canon uses the term "Image Stabilization" to describe it. I'm afraid the 700 page User Guide (UG) is NOT really very informative. Apparently it involves both something called "digital movie IS" which appears to be some kind of in camera processing as well as optical IS which is supported by the lens. As best I can tell IS can be really useful when shooting video but of course that, for now, is irrelevant in my case.

With respect to still shooting the UG says, "When the Image Stabilizer is not necessary, such as when using a tripod, it is recommended that you set the IS switch to <OFF>.". My primary use for the camera is shooting landscape scenes hand held with shutter speed sometimes as low as a tenth of a second. My new camera is a bit heavier and the shutter release button a bit more sensitive than what I'm accustomed to. In that, I think, I hold this camera steadier than others.

Is IS helpful in this case? I presume the benefit should be sharper images. Is there any more to it than that?

Real Name
    Dan

Yes, IS will definitely help when shooting hand-held at slow shutter speeds.

The old rule of thumb is that to avoid motion blur with a full frame camera, the shutter speed should not be slower than 1/focal length. With an APS-C camera, like a Canon Rebel, that would be 1/(1.6 x focal length). So at 50mm you would want 1/80 sec. or faster. IS will gain you at least three stops, more depending on the equipment. Three stops from 1/80 would 1/10 sec.

I leave IS turned on all the time unless my camera is on a tripod.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Quote Originally Posted by ajax View Post

With respect to still shooting the UG says, "When the Image Stabilizer is not necessary, such as when using a tripod, it is recommended that you set the IS switch to <OFF>.". My primary use for the camera is shooting landscape scenes hand held with shutter speed sometimes as low as a tenth of a second. My new camera is a bit heavier and the shutter release button a bit more sensitive than what I'm accustomed to. In that, I think, I hold this camera steadier than others.

Is IS helpful in this case? I presume the benefit should be sharper images. Is there any more to it than that?
    IS or SR is one of the most useful innovations in photography in recent decades. If you take pictures at 1/10s you will notice a difference.

As a purely stills photographer myself, I was less bothered by the fact that cameras do video as well as stills, than the fact that the features would clutter up the menus - yes, I realize that they would have their own tabs but I just didn't want to see them at all. That is why I really liked the feature of Fuji cameras - specifically the X-T4 that has a simple selector switch and with one click, one can have ONLY stills menus and features, or ONLY video. If one creates settings in either, and then switches modes, upon return the settings are as they were last set.

In this day and age, that is as close to a stills-only camera that I can get. I think Canon may have done that with the R3 as well, and hope that it becomes a trend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12